Need help with my sump for a 93 Gallon rimless cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my sump for a 93 Gallon rimless cube

I just purchased a 93 gallon rimless cube, along with a sump. It's my first salt water aquarium with a sump. My problem is that it's making a very loud slurping/draining sound and I can't figure out why. I live in the katy area if anyone who is in expert in this field can come by and fix for it me. I will pay you. Please message me if interested.

Some questions to help you out:
    if the noise comes from the tank:
    -is the tank Reef ready ( built in overflow) - a durso pipe will help reduce the noise.
    -if the tank has hang-on overflow box, attach sponge to draining tube inside overflow box will help reduce the noise.

if the noise comes from the sump:
    -if the drain hose is too far up from water level in sump - water splashing make noise -> extend draining hose will help.

Let us know how water drains from your tank to sump, then we can find out.

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
      Some questions to help you out:
      if the noise comes from the tank:
      -is the tank Reef ready ( built in overflow) - a durso pipe will help reduce the noise.
      -if the tank has hang-on overflow box, attach sponge to draining tube inside overflow box will help reduce the noise.

if the noise comes from the sump:
      -if the drain hose is too far up from water level in sump - water splashing make noise -> extend draining hose will help.

Let us know how water drains from your tank to sump, then we can find out.
      Here are some pictures

Comment

i would move that drain tube ( the bigger one on the left) in the overflow box a little up to see if that would reduce the noise.

So, you do not know where the noise comes from?

PS: very nice setup.

Comment

Thanks I hope to make a nice reef setup. I just bought radion xr30 light and mp40. Vortech pump.

So the sound is coming from two places. In the overflow above and below in the first chamber from the drain tube. I current have a sock on it.

I'm wondering maybe I need to add more water. The sound is like an ongoing gurgling drain.

Comment

Originally posted by taikoboi View Post
            Thanks I hope to make a nice reef setup. I just bought radion xr30 light and mp40. Vortech pump.

So the sound is coming from two places. In the overflow above and below in the first chamber from the drain tube. I current have a sock on it.

I'm wondering maybe I need to add more water. The sound is like an ongoing gurgling drain.
            I don't think adding water will help, but I could be wrong (I assume you are talking about the water level in the sump). How much is your overflow rated for? I know that sometimes if your pump isn't pulling enough or if it's pushing too much it can cause issues

Comment

Generally speaking if your overflow is gurgling there is too much water and not enough air being drawn into the drain tube. There are two fixes for this, first a ball valve on the return pump so you can throttle back the return pressure. Or you can drill a larger air hole in the top of the stand pipe (the pvc pipe in your overflow) to increase the amount of air being drawn in with the water. If there is too much water going through your drain it fills the drain line and creates pockets of water which either get dragged down to your sump and create a big "sploosh" when it eventually reaches the bottom of the pipe or rises back up the pipe and causes gurgling and splashing at the top of your drain line. Ideally the water and air in your drain should be in equilibrium so water simply drains down the outside sides of the drain line and air can pass freely down the center of the drain line.
              Too long, didn't read? Either throttle your return (or get a smaller return pump) or increase the size of the airline in the stand pipe and I guarantee your noise will stop. I can come over with a drill and help with the airline if you choose that route

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Nice tip big pink !!! And nice tank by the way ! Looks super clean

Comment

+10 for comment above

Comment

Thanks big pink. I drilled a hole and that fixed my issue. Thanks so much. I can finally sleep peacefully :-)

No just going to let my tank cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X