Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in building a salt water tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in building a salt water tank!

Hello guys,after seeing many beautiful aquairums,I’ve decided that I want to make it a new hobby of mines. I am a beginner that is inspired to have a beautiful tank. Im looking for help in starting one. I want to start out with maybe something like a 10g salt water tank with basic fishes such as clown fish, and other salt water friendly fishes. I want to have some amount of corals and anemone. Keep in mind that it is going to be a 10 gallon tank. Can you guys suggest me in any kind of tank set up, lighting, plants, corals, fishes, etc etc. Be great if you guys can tell me what I need to do and how to do it. What parts I need, and tips on how to maintain and setting up a beautiful tank.

Welcome to HFB!! Saltwater tanks are definitely beautiful, but they are expensive, and in general require more knowledge/experience to setup and run smoothly. If you have never kept fish before, it may not be the best option. Also, the larger the tank, the better the experience that you will have as a beginner. It is very difficult to maintain small saltwater tanks as the water parameters such as salinity (the amount of salt in the water) fluctuate more rapidly than in larger tanks. Obviously you need to recreate the most stable environment possible in order to mimic the ocean, which rarely changes in water composition on a daily basis. You mention that you would like to have clownfish, and an anemone.... realize that in a 10 gallon the most you would be able to have are 2 clownfish (only fish) and some coral provided you have appropriate lighting ($$$). Clownfish don't need anemones to survive, and anemones can be hard to keep in captivity... almost all would grow too big for your tank. Consider these facts then get back to us if you still feel like you are still up for it. It is do able, but it will take some $$, willingness to learn, a little time, and most importantly lots of patience. Nothing good ever happens quickly in saltwater aquariums, so if you rush into it, you wll most likely end up with dead livestock and several $$ poorer. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you the big picture
    Last edited by Roshan8768; 09-16-2013, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Roshan is certainly correct in his statement, salt water tanks can be a lot more money and work. I have occasionally seen folks dive into it initially, but I will say most end up frustrated and throw in the towel. There are a lot of great folks on here to help guide you and offer advice, whatever you choose. My own recommendation would be to try a fresh water tank for a year and get an easier tank under your belt before venturing into SW. That way you'll have a broader set of knowledge and can make far more informed purchases and decisions when you start your salt water tank. Either way you go, Welcome aboard!
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Thank you Roshan! After reading what you guys have suggested, i've definitely underestimated the knowledge and the basis of having a salt water tank. Although I still really would like to make one, I think i will continue to keep researching since im still new to this hobby. I am also willing to learn and spent sufficient time if i actually intend to build one! So thank you for your knowledge and advice. I will probably start out with a fresh water tank.

Could you suggest any tank brands ,plants, fishes, lighting that would work for a nice looking tank? i want a 10 gallon tank. Im willing to spend alittle more than average, and im definitely not looking for a goldfish kind of set up. lol
        Also do you know any stores in the Houston area that have good quality and prices for these items? i've been to fish gallery, but i was looking for others to continue my search!

Comment

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. If you are going with freshwater, maybe try for planted aquariums? There are some beautiful aquariums with live plants out there that are just as beatiful as reef aquriums IMO. I would google ADA aquariums, or check out the Planted tank forum. It would be possible to do a planted 10 gallon aquarium with about 5-10 small fishes for a relatively low price. This would probably look less tacky than most of the "goldfish" setups you mention. Let us know if this is something you would be interested in, and we can probably figure out more details such as equipment and costs. As far as stores go, it depends on what side of town your on... I am on the Southwest side (Katy) so I frequent Fish land, T&T Reef, Fish Gallery, and the new Cinco Ranch Aquariums. Fish Gallery is great to walk around at, but is fairly overpriced IMO.
          Last edited by Roshan8768; 09-17-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Yeah I wanted to do a planted aquarium as a secondary choice from salt water. I've seen ADA aquariums, thats actually why im interested in one. I just dont know where to get such quality equipment. ADA seems like a very nice brand. i would definitely be interested in building a nice plant aquarium, and im willing to spend a moderate amount of money in making it look beautiful. I'm on the Southeast side of Houston, and we pretty much don't have nothing. Well not as far as i know. Fish gallery is very pricy lol

Comment

Unless you have a lot of cash lying around I would just get a 10 gallon tank to start... I'm pretty sure Petco still has its $ per gallon sale going on. If you really like the rimless look, you can take the rim off of a standard tank. As far as equipment goes, all you really need is a filter, a heater, and lighting. Since it's your first tank I would recommend either a aquaclear HOB(hang on back) filter (AC70 for a 10 gallon) or an eheim canister filter (2213). As far as lighting goes, I would get either t5 or led lighting. Heaters are all about the same, just make sure that its a well known brand and not a knock off

Comment

Alright! My friend is taking me to this place called Aquarium Design Group. Told me i could get some nice quality stuff there..so going to check it out, but will definitely keep those references to look at! Thanks again Roshan!

Comment

Working...
                X