New to saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to saltwater

I'm starting up my first saltwater tank in a couple of days. I've being with freshwater for about 3 years and I'm finally making the big switch to saltwater. Going to purchase a 14-29 gal bio cube in a couple of days and was wondering if there's any other accessories I need to upgrade if I'm just doing a basic saltwater tank. Have live rock, 3-4 fish, and the cleaning crew(hermits, crab, snails)That's what I want to do and maybe do reefs later after I get the saltwater down pack.

If there's anything else I'm missing from what I should also know about starting up a saltwater feel free to tell me
    Thanks
    90 gallon coming soon
    72 gallon bow front mix cichild
    46 gallon bow front baby mix cichild
    20 gallon empty

To start out you need to cycle your tank before you add the clean up crew and fish. After that they make refugiums and skimmers for those bio cubes, both are a good idea.

Comment

i would go slow

wait a month before adding any livestock, and add them slow, like one thing at a time, because your biofilyrt eill have to work to keep up with the additional biomass

Comment

what about auto top off? I didnt think the smaller tanks would evaporate as fast but that also means less room for error. We recently started a salt tank and adding water every day was very annoying.

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

ATO's really do add an easyness to reefkeeping if that makes sense

Comment

My 75g with 20g long fuge loses about a gallon a day. My ATO made my life so much better.

Comment

Working...
            X