Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overstocking ?

HI Guru's,
    i am a beginner for saltwater aquarium. Aquarium is up and running since 3 months. Before i used the tank as freshwater setup for a year and half. i am not sure if am overstocking the aquarium or is it OK to have the below stuff. Also any other suggestions please. I would like to add few more Corals like Hammers, Torch and Frog Spawn based on your suggestions.

Size: 55 gallon 48.3" x 12.8" x 21
    Filteration: Aqueon Hang-on Quite flow 55/75 and
    Eheim ECCO PRO Canister filter rated for 70 gallon.
    Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH1000.
    Powerheads: 2 (1300 Gph each) (Not running them, as they are blowing away everything)
    lights: Coralife AQUALIGHT HIGH OUTPUT T5 DUAL LAMP FIXTURE 48" and
    one Kessil a150W Ocean blue.
    50 pounds live Rock
    55 pounds sand

Fish: 3 Damsels
    1 Fox face
    1 lawn-mover Blenny
    1 Yellow eye Tang
    1 Hi Fin Cardinal
    1 Tomato Clown
    2 Emerald crabs
    5 Hermit Carbs

Corals: 2 Feather duster's
    3 3' Diameter mushrooms.
    2 Green Star Polyps ( one is size of 4"-4"-4")
    1 Colt Coral
    1 Pulsating Xenia
    4 rocks with full if polyps
    4 bubble tip Anemones.
    1 Bubble Coral.
    1 Unknown Green tree like Coral - shown below in Picture.

Thanks Harsha.

2013-08-02 12.14.17.jpg2013-08-02 12.14.58.jpg2013-08-02 12.16.59.jpg2013-08-02 12.16.28.jpg

For three months it doesn't look bad but seems like a lot in such a short time. Just my thoughts. But if your inhabitants are happy and it works for you then keep up the good work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Comment

That doesn't sound too bad at all, I've heard much, much worse! I think long term though you would do well to get those powerheads up and running, move them down the glass and point them up so they done disturb your coral too much. You corals need the flow to transport nutrients to them and waste away from them, the hang on back on its own won't do that.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Tank looks good. Great start.

Comment

Yep. If these folks are giving you the thumbs up, then you're doing great! I can't wait to start a salty setup myself.

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

One suggestion. I would buy two power heads that are haif the power you have now. Put them at opposing sides of the aquarium and point towards the middle. The interaction with your other filtration will provide adequate circulation for your current set up.
            My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments. Does any of you know the name of the light green tree like coral in picture ?

@Bigpink. i have tried several ways placing the power headers but never tried placing near the bottom and pointing upwards.i will try that today.

@Bakapuma. Thanks. i am planning to buy new powerheads next week. Do you know if there is any difference between the cheap power heads in the Ebay to the ones in the LFS ?the price difference is a lot between them. below are the once i bought.

Thanks Harsha.

Comment

I've heard good reviews of the powerheads from eBay. The premium you pay for say koralias is in small part for the name, but also for the customer service. Remember, if one of those ebay pumps goes out, you're gonna have a heck of a job getting it services/replaced. When it comes to hydor or ecotech etc, one call and you'll be taken care of.
                Bakapuma's suggestions would be preferable to mine, I was suggesting a way of trying to get some life out of the pumps you already own, but if you can get smaller pumps and have the flow nearer your coral (and more importantly, your sandbed... If you don't have enough flow down there, crud will settle and decay causing all sorts of nastiness) you'll be providing much better conditions for your tank

Comment

Oh and the coral is a colt coral

Comment

Working...
                  X