Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from TPWD

I got a letter from the TWPD. Here is what it said:

The Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC) is pleased to invite you to attend a workshop to discuss the issue of aquatic species release in Houston. The goal of the workshop is to bring together representatives from the aquatic species industry, TPWD, and academia to discuss the development of a scorecard that assesses the invasive potential of aquatic species and possible linkages to outreach and education strategies to reduce the release of potentially invasive species into waters of the Upper Texas Coast.
    In 2011, HARC led the initial phase of a TPWD-funded project that focused on developing a methodology to determine the potential of aquarium species availability, release and survival in Houston waterways, specifically analyzing socio-cultural and economic drivers of the introduction of aquatic species. A workshop was held at the University of Houston in April 2011. The Phase 1 Executive Summary of the final report and summary presentation are attached.
    Phase 2 of the project applies the results of the 2011 work to develop an invasion potential scorecard that quantifies aquarium species’ market availability potential, release potential and survival and reproduction potential.
    HARC will present the draft scorecard and seek input for further refinement and application to education and outreach strategies. All ideas and discussion points generated at the workshop will be captured and incorporated into a follow-up white paper that will be provided to all participants.

If any of you have strong opinions, please voice them here and I'll carry them forward. Likewise, PM me your email address if you want a copy of the executive summary.

-Tim
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

My strong opinion: let's do away with the ban on freshwater rays.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Really glad you're in on this, Tim. Curious- is this for fauna only, or does it address invasive potential of flora issues as well?
      "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

It is fauna only.
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Cool! Congrats Tim!

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Congrat's Tim.

This is something I'm very passionate about and I'm glad to see that TPWD sees a need to bring in hobbyist leaders.

Getting this under control (albeit it's probably to late in most cases ) is only going to happen if awareness and education at our level is instilled at the retail and hobbyist levels.

TPWD is very smart in bringing in person's of your stature because they are so out manned and it will become a true epedemic if the tide does not start to turn now.

Comment

+1 on the stingrays. Our neighboring state allows them! Arowanas have been pushed a number of times.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                My strong opinion: let's do away with the ban on freshwater rays.
                +2 on rays...
                20g mixed reef

Comment

I'll even pay an annual license/fee to keep them just so they know I'm not crazy enough to let loose a $500+++ fish into local waters...
                  http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

It makes no sense to not allow them. I would think they're much too sensitive to take a change from aquarium to our waters without acclimating. Besides, which moron would risk catching them out, transporting them to a local body of water, and then release them? I'd be scared to even release with the thought that they may strike you.

Also they're already priced quite higher than your average fish. A common motoro pup runs you about $100-300 depending on their spot quality. The price alone should deter most beginners. A beginner hobbyist won't dare to spend that much and would probably look for something else. I know if I'm gonna spend that much on one fish, I'm gonna go educate myself.

Comment

+3 on rays. much more likely a person who would release them would kill the fish first due to how sensitive they are to water quality
                      mmm...pancakes

Comment

I would broaden it and say most all cool south American fish.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                          I would broaden it and say most all cool south American fish.
                          +1 it gets too hot in Houston for most of those fish

Comment

Too hot? More like the water ways dry out
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I went to this this morning... and am waiting on a meeting at work, so here's the Cliff's notes:

TPWD is not going to attempt a white list for aquatic fauna any time in the near future. There was too much vocal hobbyist resistance (phone calls, letter writing, emails, etc...) to the idea. TPWD plans to continue with its current blacklist.

HARC has developed a scorecard for aquarium species invasion potential -- something that can be done quickly and with less effort than a full blown traditional risk assessment. It consists of measuring three things: market availability potential, release potential, and survival and reproduction potential.

Suggestions and modifications were made to the specific questions. Expect a finalized version toward the end of 2013.

I'll share more details as I have time.

Comment

Working...
                              X