My First Blackwater Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Blackwater Tank

So I jumped the gun and scrapped my 20L blue eye group idea and went for a blackwater setup thanks to Homeless Aquatics bringing in Samurai Gourami (Sphaerichthys Vaillanti). Also thanks to effin Chester for pointing out that he had another pair of Snakehead Bettas (Betta Channoides) that I now own lol.

Fauna consists of 4x L144, 7x Samurai Gourami (now 6 due to female aggression), 2x Betta Channoides (pair).

The goal is breeding, but just having the blackwater setup is badarse. Since I'm still not finished... Here's a sneak peek

Nice look, love the tannin stained waters, looking forward to seeing the parameters and what you can achieve
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Can't wait to see this develop!
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Haven't checked parameters yet, but it was tap before. A bit more info...

Tank is a 20L also supplied by Homeless Aquatics. Substrate is Coconut fiber. Filter is two Eheim 2213. Assorted driftwood. Cholla wood. Light is a temporary 36" coralife t5. Lights will be changed and I still need a few more things to complete it. All of this was thrown together Saturday.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

It looks good, I'd certainly suggest using RO/DI or distilled only. If I had any significant mineral (TDS) it would try and buffer up. With 0TDS the water should naturally be 7.0 and will have no ability to buffer back up once it starts falling. I found using brightwell/aquasoil to help start the process. It might take a few months to work out whatever minerals are in the system thus far and anything that hitched on equipment/wood/ect. (We had an aquaclear that took almost half a year to lose all the minerals encrusted on it) and I imagine any wood that was in another harder water tank basically acted as a sponge, so diluting it out of it might take some time. We never found any rocks that would not add to the TDS, especially when it started becoming more acidic.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

There's tap in there now. Already planned for further water changes to be done with ro/di. Thanks for the input though! I figure it'll be a few months for the tds to drop.

Edit: I'm buying RO/DI by my house, but I really need to buy a filter. I'll be getting one soon though. Need to get a 50gal drum or something of the like as well.

Last edited by mistahoo; 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Subscribed!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Whee! Can't wait to follow this tank's progression.

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
                All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Btw those in the pic are all the "females" or man ladies, which ever you prefer.

Comment

let me get those channoides, got a bigger tank for my pair now so I could use a second pair.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

haha your welcome steven! this should be a fun tank to follow.

Comment

A shot of the male before the tank went Blackwater

Comment

So I've heard about homeless aquatics and a few members from SELAS has bought fish from there. Is it a retail store, or a by appointment fish room?

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu View Post
                            So I've heard about homeless aquatics and a few members from SELAS has bought fish from there. Is it a retail store, or a by appointment fish room?
                            It's run by armthehomeless, a by appointment business. Contact him. :)

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
                            All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Heard the owner is a good guy from my Louisiana folk. I will have to give him a call on my next trip to Houston.

Comment

Working...
                              X