Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use a canister filter for a nano tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use a canister filter for a nano tank?

In my 13g tank, my fluval spray isn't enough to stir water. I got a Hydor 240gph for the tank today and I also have a spare eheim 2211 that I had just put together. I want to use my eheim but I've yet to meet anyone that uses a canister filter on their set up. So yeah, could you use a canister filter on a salt set up?
    Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Of course you can. The main reason people tend to stay away from canisters for saltwater is because it can become a nitrate factory. That can easily be remedied through regular maintenance.

Comment

+1 they require lots more work. I would recommend a hob over a canister.

Comment

An aquaclear with a lil modification will work great as a hob fuge

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Alright, I guess I won't be using a canister. Maybe I can make a minisump.

Comment

securedownload-18.jpgsecuredownload-10.jpgsecuredownload-6.jpgsecuredownload-7.jpg+ 1 I believe u got that biocube stand from me.. the tank i showed u n my room is running just canister filter.. holding everything from soft to hard corals.( nothing but tap water n canister filter..hob skimmer...never seen ro/di...)
              Last edited by Houston713Texan; 08-04-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I just started another nano tank. It's a fluval edge 6 and I modified it quite a bit. It has LEDs and a zoomed canister filter that I modified into a tiny refugium.

Comment

It will work.. i ran a 5g sps frag tank with just a zoomed canister!!!!

Comment

I used canister with a HOB aquaclear on my seahorse tanks. Mistahoo is very much correct need to keep it well maintained. I usually put a piece of tape on the filter to remind me to clean it out by a certain date. Usually monthly. Also a sponge on the intake acts as a great per filter to prevent large debris for. Getting sucked in creating a nitrate factory.
                    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I ran a canister filter on a fowlr for years (with cleaning) and it ran just fine.

Comment

IMG_20130901_112013.jpgIMG_20130901_112047.jpgIMG_20130901_112114.jpg1378060991363.jpgIMG_20130901_112232.jpg
                        Originally posted by Stickboy97 View Post
                        I ran a canister filter on a fowlr for years (with cleaning) and it ran just fine.
                        +1 ive been running a canister for 2+ yrs now, keeping anything i throw in.just lately started to thin out the softies. here is a recent shot of the tank. everything is closed. i just threw a pc light up to get a decent pic. my phone doesnt focus right to my leds.here is a shot of under the stand too. about as simple as it get!!! the pic of all blue is how my phone takes a pic with leds...and thats blues as dim as they go, purp,red,green, and white off.everything u c in the pics is all i dose or run on my tank!!

Comment

Working...
                        X