What size return pump for 90 gallon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size return pump for 90 gallon?

I'm not sure what pump I'm currently running (it came with the tank). It does ok, but seems like I should have more water flow. I also have 2 maxijet 1200's inside for circulation. It just doesn't seem like there is enough water moving....and the bottom gets dirty fairly quickly. Any suggestions?
    90 gallon reef: Softies, LPS, Shrooms, Gobies, Mandarin Goby, Sailfin, Hippo, damsels, Clowns
    55 Gallon: Yellow Lab, Electric Blue, Albino Zebra, Yellow tail Acei, Cobalt Blue
    40 Gallon: Demasoni Breeding Colony
    30 Gallon: Grow out fry tank
    10 Gallon: Fry Tank

Size of your return pump is dependent on how much flow your overflow can handle, not the size of your tank. Also, you want your overflow to be able to handle a lot more than the return pump you have as a safetu precaution (i.e. 1600gph overflow for 1200gph pump).

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by mistahoo; 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

If the bottom gets dirty quick, try adjusting the position of your powerheads. Also cut back on feeding or do more water changes.

Comment

Tank is drilled, so its an internal overflow. Not sure of how that is rated, but its never very full. Sump underneath is a 30 gallon long that stays about 2/3 full.
        90 gallon reef: Softies, LPS, Shrooms, Gobies, Mandarin Goby, Sailfin, Hippo, damsels, Clowns
        55 Gallon: Yellow Lab, Electric Blue, Albino Zebra, Yellow tail Acei, Cobalt Blue

Comment

If its drilled, what is the size of the hoses/pipes that you have plumbed?

Comment

Originally posted by KhmerStyle View Post
            If its drilled, what is the size of the hoses/pipes that you have plumbed?
            +1 what are the size of the hole and tubing/pipes?

Comment

1" gray tubing for outtake from tank and 3/4" clear tubing for return.

Comment

Originally posted by wildosworld View Post
                Tank is drilled, so its an internal overflow. Not sure of how that is rated, but its never very full. Sump underneath is a 30 gallon long that stays about 2/3 full.
                1) The height of water in the overflow depends on the height of your standpipe. You want it fairly high to mininize the water fall effect which causes a lot of noise.

2) The height of water in the sump depends on how much water you have in the whole system. If you add more water than what you have now, the difference will go into the sump. You don't want your sump to be too full, if you lose electricity, more water will go into the sump before it stops and you don't want it to overflow. You need to test this.

3) The return pump rating needs to be less than the drain/ bulk head rating.

2 inch bulkhead will flow approximately 1350 GPH 1 ½ inch bulkhead will flow approximately 975 GPH

1 inch bulkhead will flow approximately 350 GPH

¾ inch bulkhead will flow approximately 165 GPH

Comment

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml this link should help

Comment

Btw what kind of pump do you have ? GpH rate ?

Comment

Not sure on my current pump....it came with the tank. I'm gonna go play with it all in a few minutes. Thanks for the links and info guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by wildosworld View Post
                        Not sure on my current pump....it came with the tank.
                        You can still look at the make and model and look it up online.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do when I get home.

Comment

Working...
                          X