I'm considering dipping my toe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm considering dipping my toe...

Ok, I've discovered Frogfish/Anglerfish and I'm considering getting one of the smaller species like a Wartskin. I've access to RO/DI water, and I can get salt-mix. I'm thinking I'll start with a FOWLR tank, but I may want to try my hand at corals eventually. I've got freshwater SA/CA tanks, but from what I've heard those are the easy fish.

I'm thinking a 40b should be a good size to start with. I really like low-tech tanks, but I'm not sure that will be possible for what I want to do. I've been reading up on reef tanks and it doesn't seem to be very difficult if you do things correctly, but there is a lot of misinformation out there as well.

One bit that seems to be popular is having a deep sand bed will eliminate the need to do a water change and allow you to only top of your tank, though the laws of physics and nature seem to disagree, along with nearly every forum I've visited.

So, I plan to acquire all my equipment over the coming months first before setting it up, though I don't know if I'll be able to resist setting it up with just the bare bone necessities.

Now I've seen some tanks where it's just live rock a couple of circulation pumps, lights and a heater. Is this a viable way to keep a tank if it's understocked? It seems too fish-bowl-ish to me.

Also, when you were starting out what are the essential pieces of equipment you wish you would've bought first before setting up the tank?

If you were setting up this tank, how would you do it?

I'm putting together a list of things to buy so I can start getting them piece by piece.

Thank you guys for all the info!

If you going to eventually do a reef tank, buy a good light. Leds are really nice. Also get a protein skimmer. Also a mp10 would be good for a 40 breeder. Other thank that a sump, sand, rocks. And a reactor depending on what you do and don't want to do with the tank

Comment

This was my build/question thread from last year. It's long, but really filled with a whole lot of good information when starting from scratch.

The equipment I would recommend for a reef tank 40b:
      Light:
      - Buy Darbex' 2x Panorama Pro LED fixtures If he still has them. I wish they were available a couple months ago.
      - I have a Maxspect R4zor 160w 16000k 27" fixture. Absolutely love it.
      - Get a 250w 14000k MH fixture with 2-4 bulb t5/cfl accents
      - 6x bulb t5. I had a 6bulb t5 fixture for the first 10mo of my build and loved it, but it gets pricey when you have to spend 200.00 on new bulbs every 8 months, so it's worth just spending that initial cost on LEDs from the get go.

Sump:
      - As big as you can get inside of your stand. 600gph is enough for a return. Inside the sump, you want 3 sections. First one being the Skimmer, second is refugium (sand bed, live rock and chaeto or some other kind of macro algae, third is return pump.

Powerheads:
      - mp10 is best, but I use a single k3 and my return on my 40b and it's more than enough.

Your best friend is an auto top off in your sump. Since SW requires such strong lighting, evaporation is nuts. I lose about 3 quarts a day.

Now, if I were you and you wanted a low tech/inexpensive tank with coral, this is how I would do it. I've been wanting to do this myself for a next SW tank when the time comes.

Get a 33long tank 4x1x1' and a 20long for a sump. Donnie at CP can order one for you for (99.99) The reason for a 33long, its only 12" deep. You don't need a lot of light for penetration. I would bet you could grow anything with a 4bulb t5 fixture which are a dime a dozen. I would still get a skimmer. I use a Reef Octopus 110 on my tank and love it, but I've heard people with great reviews with http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS-75-Protei...item43bb27b756

You could probably keep it under 500.00 with a new 33long and new 20long for tank and sump. 4 bulb t5 fixture, a clamp light for refugium. Return pump/heater/overflow as well as a reef octopus skimmer and 2x k3 powerheads. Even cheaper if you decide to go non-name brand route or used.

Just in general, don't try to go too cheap on the build... it will cause a whole lot of headaches and end up being more expensive in the long run when you keep having to replace inadequate equipment. My 2c! Keep us informed

Comment

Working...
      X