What size sump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size sump?

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to this and I recently got a 120g tank that i want i set up as saltwater. It's 4x2x2. I am wanting to have some corals in it as well. I'm starting to look into equipment and the first thing I want to get is the sump. I will be setting it up very slow due to funds and wanting to start with all the right equipment. So first thing....How many gallons should the sump be for this tank? And what all should I include in the sump? Also how many gph should the return pump be? Thanks!!

First the size of your sump, you want as big a sump as you can fit in the stand, if the stand is nice and wide, you may be able to squeeze a 55 or 75 gallon under it, if not 40 will be a decent size. Just remember, larger sump equals greater system volume equals greater stability.
    As for return pump, the general rule is 10 times the volume of your system so 1200 at the least, but if you get say a 55 or 75 for the sump your total system will be nearer 200 gallons so 2000 Gph will be a better fit but any where between the two should be what you need

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

As for what to include, you can get cheap glass cut to format baffles in the sump, Google diy sump/refugium and youll find many guides. The most common setup is to have a drain/skimmer area, a refugium in the middle, a bubble trap and finally a return section. An auto top off is one of the best things you can do first to keep your tank as stable as possible, this should always be mounted in the return section.

Comment

Originally posted by BiGPiNK View Post
        As for what to include, you can get cheap glass cut to format baffles in the sump, Google diy sump/refugium and youll find many guides. The most common setup is to have a drain/skimmer area, a refugium in the middle, a bubble trap and finally a return section. An auto top off is one of the best things you can do first to keep your tank as stable as possible, this should always be mounted in the return section.

Thanks for all your info!! What is a bubble trap and an auto top off? I was thinking of doing a mag drive 18 for the return pump and some type of reef octopus for the skimmer.

Comment

Working...
        X