migrating my nano 10g to a 20gH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migrating my nano 10g to a 20gH

So I am migrating my 10g Nano to a 20g High, since i am leaving it on the same place I can't go long.

Either way currently I have a koralia nano 240, aquaclear 50 and a aquaclear 30 with live rock on both, i have 9 pounds of live rock inside (the idea is to get more but after i just move what I have), 2 clowns ocerallis and a cleaning shrimp, two toad stools corals and a torch coral and a few zoas, and cleaning crew (snails) also I have 20 pounds of sand in it.

I got the 20high and 20 more pounds of live sand, my approach is to move everything and including the water to the new tank and adding the new sand and on top of it the old sand. Also is my HOB filters and the Koralia will still enough flow for the 20g high? and should I see a spike on ammonia or nitrites? and a mini cycle?

Also before I do that I am painting the tank on the back and I need to know which paint to get from the home depot?

Also I am getting a Kessil a150 15K for the tank, which I assume it is more than enough to grow anything on it correct, since the purpose of the upgrade is to add more coral stock and possible fishes?

Should i be ok with this approach and I assueme a 20g High should be the same with weekly water changes and etc ?

its hard to say if its enough flow. it depends what you want to keep in the future. if you want to keep lps then yeah i say its enough. if you want to do sps. you would have to upgrade on flow. you shouldnt see much of a cycle. some people do see a a mini cycle when they switch a tank like that so dont be surprised just do a water change. as far as the lighting i have no clue. just google it i guess, im too lazy to do it for you. everything else sounds ok. lps doesnt require perfect water so an AC 50 and koralia you should be alright, just keep doing the same % water changes same maintenance routines etc.

Comment

Well I want to start adding hard or stony corals, supposed the kessil is good enough, I have a marineland maxijet 1200 that I can convert with the propeller to generate flow, maybe i should try that one in combination of the koralia or by itself.

Also my current 10g has coraline algae in all the glass walls of the tank and well in the intakes of the aqua clears can I scrape off some of the coraline and dump it on the new tank or shouldn't even bother, it will grow again?
      Last edited by Raul; 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Well I finished the migration so far good, but well expecting the small cycle and i guess diatom blooms, hope I do not get the hair algae problems I had last year,

Here are some pic before and after, and well the rock seem small now, will wait to add more stuff when it stabilize and well still waiting on the kessil.

photo.jpgphoto2.jpg
        Last edited by Raul; 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

i would not bother with the coraline, not sure if you did it yet or not? but it will grow back just probably take longer. Hope everything is going good.

Comment

Yep well I already did the migration, everything good so far, I had a cycle and well starting with the diatom bloom, but my zoas and torch look so nice with the new light and the clowns and fish look so happy.

Since my 10g is now converted to a 10g fresh water for my kid, I gave him the aquaclear 30 and I added to the nano aquaclear 70 acting as a fuge with a light and some cheato algae, not sure if the cheato is growing as expected since my nitrates are not that high.

Still waiting to start adding some few corals and maybe a watchmen goby still thinking on adding more fish or not.

Comment

Working...
            X