New to saltwater! 14g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to saltwater! 14g

Hi guys! I recently started my first saltwater tank. I purchased it from someone already setup (14g biocube). I have had it home for 2 weeks now and everything seems to be running well. I have about 10lbs live rock, 1-1.5 inch of live sand, 2 clarkii clowns, 1 scooter blenny, 1 twin spot goby, 2snails, 3 hermits, 1 red star, 1 coral frag and a bubble anemone. I plan to add a little more rock. How often should I do water changes? My ph has been 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5-10 with a salinity of 1.025. Are those acceptable parameters? Also should I add any more hermits or snails? I have been getting a little brown on the bottom of the glass, but my heater seems to be messing up and keeping the tank warmer than I would like :-/. Also should I be buying copepods and amphipods to feed these guys? The guy at city pets said I shoudnt need them. Thanks for any advise!

Nice looking tank and welcome to the box! There are a lot more knowledgable salty folks then I that will surely guide you the right way.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Re: New to saltwater! 14g

For Saltwater you should come on over to marsh as well. Lots of great people and info.

*Sent from my little corner of the reef.*

Comment

You shouldn't need pods and the parameters are pretty good. On a tank that size I would do weekly water changes. Things can go south real quick in a tank that small. I would add 16 or so more snails, mostly ceriths, not big snails. Maybe a shrimp as well, perhaps a cleaner shrimp. Everything looks good though. Very nice setup!!

Comment

New to saltwater! 14g

Originally posted by jeb102385 View Post
          You shouldn't need pods and the parameters are pretty good. On a tank that size I would do weekly water changes. Things can go south real quick in a tank that small. I would add 16 or so more snails, mostly ceriths, not big snails. Maybe a shrimp as well, perhaps a cleaner shrimp. Everything looks good though. Very nice setup!!
          Thanks! I purchased water from City pets, is that ok to use for water changes? Also, would you do 25% changes weekly? That's a lot of snails lol! I guess I should get on that! Thanks!

Comment

New to saltwater! 14g

Originally posted by nano reef heaven View Post
            For Saltwater you should come on over to marsh as well. Lots of great people and info.

Is that another forum?

Comment

Re: New to saltwater! 14g

Yes local as well and is Saltwater reef.

Comment

I have 150+ snails in my 90 gallon. City pets water is fine and 20-25% water change should be good...

Comment

New to saltwater! 14g

Originally posted by jeb102385 View Post
                  I have 150+ snails in my 90 gallon. City pets water is fine and 20-25% water change should be good...
                  Thanks! Going through with the first water change today! Will get some snails and a shrimp this week some time. Do you think it's ok to have 2 bta?

Comment

If they are small, but realize they do get huge. I've seen them the size of a small basketball

Comment

Working...
                    X