Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Betta fuzz + red streaks in fin...fungus? Help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta fuzz + red streaks in fin...fungus? Help?!

My new (as of Friday) was acting very listless the past two days, and this morning although swimming more has some disturbing looking symptoms:

- almost bloody-looking streaks in part of fins
    - globby-looking bits on tips of red streaks
    - fuzzy patch, maybe (hard to tell).

I haven't made it home yet to check on him this evening yet.

Background/potential stress sources:

- In the first couple days his tank suffered some mis-steps and water temperature went probably down to 74, then up to 84 the next day, then down to 76, and is now properly heated.
    - Spent the first 24 hours unfiltered, but in 1-2 gallons, so should be fine

Current housing is filtered, cycled (handful of ceramic bio-media out of an established tank), and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. Some plants, a light, 78 degree heater, and a couple tank-mates. (tank mates will be removed this evening when I have time).

I suspect "fungus" (true fungus, not bacteria). As of this morning, only the fin seemed affected. What's the preferred treatment?

- Salt? (how much? 1 tsp/gallon?)
    - Methylene Blue? (any instructions? I think I have an ancient bottle of this, but I don't think it expires)
    - Pimafix? (I hear it's only effective for more than minor scrapes)
    - Something else?

See attached photos... I can add more if useful)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362615383.620358.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362615412.384295.jpg

Betta fuzz + red streaks in fin...fungus? Help?!

Well, I don't think it was fungus anymore: white spot wasn't there after work. Red streaking on the fins got more widespread, lethargy got worse, and ultimately the little guy didn't make it. RIP.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362634425.026424.jpg

Comment

Sorry for your loss. That betta looked pretty cool. Maybe if we can figure out what happened to this guy, we could prevent it from happening again?

It looks like he's bleeding from a bacterial infection. Basically fish can get it from sudden change in pH or ammonia spikes. Did you properly acclimate him? Are you positive that the ammonia was 0 (using liquid test kit) or are you just saying that because you grabbed some media that was already cycled? Did you notice the red streaks on the fish while it was at the store? Was the fish active at the store? A lot of times bettas carry internal diseases that you can't notice at first. It's because of the condition they're kept in. A lot of times the store doesn't change out the water which is the main contributor. What are the tankmates? Bettas and tank mates aren't usually a great idea especially if the tank mates are much faster. The tank mates might have bullied the betta? I have a feeling it was the huge change in temperature, but I could be any of the above and more.

Comment

+1 A agree with Mista.
        Sorry for your loss ...
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
        X