Zoa Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoa Issues

Got these a couple months ago. The whole rock was perfectly covered with these Zoas. The bare spot is slowly expanding. I've read something about zoa eating nudi's? Should I just take it out of the tank, coral dip it, then toss it back in?

Zoa Issues

I don't think it could hurt . Don't know much a ton about salt but I have read about people with similar issues, doing this and it stopping the bare spot from spreading. I don't remember if any of them found it to be from a parasite or not.

By the way, may I ask what the coral is in the right of the picture. It looks great!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Re: Zoa Issues

Could be nudibranch. I would pull it, dip it and inspect it closely. If it's slowly melting away your probably right on about nudi. Make sure to inspect for eggs as well. If you have one nudi you could have more.

*Sent from my little corner of the reef. Nano nano!*

Comment

Are they melting or just closed? If they are closed something in the tank might have bothering them

Comment

I'll have to take a closer look. Never had a Zoa melt. basically whats in my tank now is all the coral ive ever owned. At first I was thinking maybe too much direct light on that top portion since he was in the smack dab middle, so I moved him back to get some shade from rocks. I'll peek to see if they just look closed or melted

Comment

It's probably the button polyps stinging it. Move the zoas away but don't put it in the shade, it needs light.

Comment

Nah, he was originally a good 3-4" away from the button polyps. I don't think that is it.

In terms of the "melting" of zoas.. not sure what they look like melted but theyre definitely not just closed. Looks like they are crusting up a little

Comment

Something fall on it? It does need light. My best growing zoas are at the very top of the tank. I'd say move them up top and do a water change.

Comment

You do what you want but all species of Palythoa produce a chemical called Palytoxin, which is a very potent neurotoxin. It does not have to touch its neighbors to harm or at least irritate them.

Comment

I'll go ahead and do everything. Dip it, then move it into a high light area away from the button polyps and see what happens

Comment

Btw, how are the rest of the ones you got from me doing?

Comment

The larger orange polyps are open, looking good but after a close examination right now, looks like I have an Aiptasia right in the middle of it. Now the neon orange zoas I got initally had 3 polyps and it has about 6-7. They look sharp!

Comment

Ya... they are my favorite

Comment

Working...
                          X