Bringing dead rock back life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing dead rock back life

When bringing dead rock back to life do you really have to go through the cooking process and if so whats the right process in doing so?

I would borrow or buy one piece of liverock from someone else. Speeds the process up tremendously. Otherwise yeah.

I never started from dead rock by itself. I always used about 50/50 live/dead rock when I did my tanks. Somebody else can probably chime in for the process.
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Yea im definitely gunna get some live rock to speed up the process but what im talking about is I guess cleaning it prior to just throwing it in the tank with live rock or can you just do that?

Comment

rinse the dead rocks with tap water until clean. Put them in the big bucket and filled it with dirty saltwater from the water changes. Cycle them with powerhead. You may put a piece of liverock and add microbacter to speed up the process. It may take at least 1 month to bring it back to life.

Comment

Bringing dead rock back life

I would use rodi water and not tap.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I dont have any cycle water. Im starting this process from scratch. Can I just rinse and do this process in my tank? It's only 20lbs in a 20g nano.

Comment

Itll all come to life i went with all dead rock when i started and it took a lil while when you get your macro algae just get it from somwone with a well established tank and it should have plenty of pods and good stuff thatll help seed the tank

Comment

Re: Bringing dead rock back life

You can't make true live rock and putting live rock won't make it true live rock. You can grow bacteria and algae on the rock though. The only way is to get rock from the ocean, reputable seller, or another member. Most likely they'll sell you fake live rock. I'll link the thread when I get home.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Is this something I can do IN the tank or do I have to do it in a tub?

Comment

Originally posted by Elpescador073 View Post
                    Is this something I can do IN the tank or do I have to do it in a tub?
                    If you're just trying to grow bacteria and cycle it, either will suffice

Comment

When i did mine it was just in my tank since i started from scratch had only a couple of damsels for about 2 or 3 months

Comment

^^^ This is exactly what im thinking about doing!

Comment

What you need to do depends on the kind and the condition of the dead rocks you have.

Comment

Its fiji rock in real good shape! It has these little white worm looking things in it. Is this normal? They're not alive. And it does have some of the purple algae!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elpescador073 View Post
                              Its fiji rock in real good shape! It has these little white worm looking things in it. Is this normal? They're not alive. And it does have some of the purple algae!!!
                              Yeah it's normal I forgot what they're called but they're beneficial

Comment

Working...
                              X