Pipa pipa frogs (surinam toad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipa pipa frogs (surinam toad)

Has anyone on here ever kept these? From what I have heard and read they are not real demanding other than keeping the water clean for bacterial reasons. I went to the repticon show and almost got an adult pair but wanted to do some more research on them before commiting. There in lies the problem, there is not a whole lot of info on these guys. Anyone have any info and first hand experience with these? Thanks everyone!
    65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

I worked with a pair when I volunteered at the Houston Zoo years ago. I have also kept numerous aquatic ceacilians (Typhononectes Natans) that are from a very similar region. They are large and I would recommend a decently sized tank for housing (40 Breeder). They are from a very sluggish region, so dense planting and low flow would be advised. This makes for a delicate balance as they are Nitrate batteries and prefer clean water... They are completely aquatic, so filling the tank is advised. Sand is the preferred substrate and some Indian almond leaf matter on the floor will make them more secure. They have been bred in home aquariums. They seem to prefer softer water, so the addition of mixing RO water will help in lowering the Ph, especially for breeding. Once a pair is established, allow the tank to fall a fe inches and utilize something to simulate rain as this will prompt breeding. Care should be used to avoid any tankmates that might pose a threat to their mouths if they were to attempt eating them (loricards, sharp spines, ect.). Overall they are fun and one of the achievable aquatics in the home aquarium. The Rubber Eel (Caecilian) is another and perhaps the Tentacled snake (my want list).
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Awesome thanks so much for the info! I still am thinking about trying these out in the near future. I saw that you recommend sand as a substrate but I was told that bare bottom is the way to go. Something about eating the substrate by accident and getting intestinal blockages. Did you never have any problems with substrate? Cool info on the rain maker. I was thinking something along the lines of a small canister filter with a spray bar above the water. Also a whole bunch of duckweed to keep the top covered. What do you think?
      65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

That would be very workable. I have heard similar things about substrate for lots of reptiles and amphibians, I think its rote in that hobby to many. Most do not come from aquarium backgrounds and have minimal ideas concerning viable tanks. Duckweed will grow and spread, though I'd do Riccia, Amazon Frogbit, and Red Root Floaters. With some Indian Almonds leaves crumbled and decaying in the bottom it should be perfect. Some snails and perhaps shrimp/gammarus to assist in cleanup it would be a very cool set up.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Awesome ideas! Going to have to be my next project. If I end up with any babies Ill give you a couple for the help.

Comment

No sweat at all, I enjoy all sorts of stuff and try and help out if I know anything that could help. I'd be all for them, but if I were to get any aquatics reptiles/amphibians it would be some tentacled snakes (Erpeton tentaculatum) for sure. An awesome fully aquatic rear fanged snake out of Vietnam that excels in planted tanks.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

wow! :) i agree with roy that sand should be fine. i have worked in the pet trade most of my adult life and have often heard the same about many reptiles eating their substrate and ending up with blockages, this is why most stores now sell "calcium sand" to keep these guys in, so that if they do ingest it, it is actually a dietary supplement! :) of course this doesn't apply to aquatics. the problem really only seems to be with gravel or bark, anything with pieces large enough to be swallowed and get stuck. sand should be fine for your froggies. and thank you roy, now i'm going to be stuck on the tentacled snakes! lol! i want one!!!
              my fish house:
              2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
              6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
              29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
              45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
              2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
              125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
              and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Indeed, they are livebearers and hold onto the plants with their tail and sway in the current. Many will attach to the same base and they are very communal. They are occasionally available through online sites, but are generally around $100 a piece. They were imported in vast quantities back in the 80's, but fared poorly as they were sold as a terrestrial and failed miserably thus collapsing the market. San Antonio and Houston Zoo have a very successful breeding program, but the herpotologists are hella stingy and won't hook me up...

When I volunteered up there they were much cooler and I got all sorts of cool freebies... Just wish I had the ability to house and care for the stuff back them... The Yellow banded Ceacilian was the coolest I managed to acquire, but I had a fascination with them and they display very poorly.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

The Tentacled Snake
                  Tentacled-snake1.jpg

The yellow striped Caecilian
                  caecilian_0011.jpg

The Surinam Toad
                  surinam_lrg.jpg
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                  X