20g budget build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20g budget build

i dont really have a budget but im starting a 20g long reef tank as cheap as i can. i also build my own stand to save money. im planning to use this build as an experiment/project so im going to try an algae turf scrubber to see how it goes. if you guys have any suggestions or input as i go feel free to let me know
    Attached Files

i painted the stand today black. first time painting a stand, first time building anything out of wood actually. besides a ramp when i was like 12. anyway ill post pictures tomorrow. i dont want to move it cause its wet right now.

Comment

Stand looks good what are your livestock plans

Comment

here is the stand, the first one is after the first base. apparently this paint is suppose to be primer + paint but it came out weird still. anyway i gave it a second coat its hard to see on the second picture though. as far as live stock goes for now its just 2 clowns that i plan to put in there. maybe more, i doubt i can get away with more fish in such a small tank. i plan to make it a reef dominated tank. ill be going out and buying the pvc pipes and fittings today for the plumbing and possibly live sand and try to get this baby running by tonight but we'll see.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ya that paint + primer stuff sucks ive used it before and its no different than paint imo i prefer kilz then painting

Comment

yeah i dont think i'll be buying it again it was some kind i found at walmart, my mistake. here are some more pics of my live rock curing, im on the hunt for power heads today because i dont know how much flow ill need i need to do my research. and that overflow box i made myself with some acrylic.
            Attached Files

Comment

more pictures of what the stand looks like now. let me know if you think i need more sand? and how is the aquascaping? should i get rid of some rock i feel like its a bit crowded. i need some imput.
              Attached Files

Comment

It does seem crowded. Maybe smaller rocks in the front and larger rocks in the back to create some depth? Make sure they're not all lined up or the depth perception just fades.

Comment

Re: 20g budget build

I wouldnt say thats over stuffed at all, we have close to 120lbs in a 40 gallon. I'd actually say, if thats the first attempt its looks fairly awesome! Good job! Sand looks good as well, deep sand beds can cause problems down the road, i have a similar depth and havent had any problems upto now (touch wood!).

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for all the feedback, im going to mess with it later to see if i can change it for the better. the pieces i have are pretty huge i may have to break them? i dont know if i should, once they are broken i cant really put them back. anyways ill mess with it more later to see if i can get something better. im working 45+ hours and going to school so i wont have the time untill 12am tonight or so. ill try to post some pictures then.

Comment

my ammonia was a bit low and i didnt think that it would be enough to start a cycle so i tossed a piece of shrimp in there today that should do the trick. i didnt take a picture because i didnt think it would be necessary to see a piece of dead shrimp in the tank.

Comment

update on pics, i put the shrimp in about a week ago i guess its decomposing in a little bubble fungus type thing. that is my homemade algae scrubber. weird thing is i still dont have ammonia nitrate or nitrite. im wondering if its the fact that i have live sand and cured live rock. its weird though
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X