Mississippi Map turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi Map turtle

What kind of buld and watts should i get for my turtle? He/she will be in a 40gb with a glass top. Thank you. New to this and have always wanted a turtle.
    Last edited by Outofexile86; 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM.
    150 gallon - Mississippi map turtles, chocolate cichlids, red spotted severums

40 GB - Red Shoulder severums

John 3:16

Only fill the tank 1/2 to 3/4 and build rock pile and platform dor basking. No top. Attack a cldmp shop light with w heat bulb but dont leave on all the time. Use a submersible heater and intank submersible filter. H
    Thanks so much,
    Lydia
    409-499-1279

Comment

Do i treat the water like aquarium water right ? Add prime and cycle water?

Comment

Turtle heating

What turtle?

Comment

the tank height you have to take in consideration for the wattage of the bulb , put a temp gauge in there so you will know how much heat is getting , and they sell the clamp lamps with a dimmer o you can set to the perfect temp . if u want a digital one let me know and i send u link , i use to have a lot of temp controllers in the past when I use to have snakes
          125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Originally posted by Outofexile86 View Post
            Do i treat the water like aquarium water right ? Add prime and cycle water?
            Yes. Ammonia and chlorine can kill any aquatic creature. Add dechlorinator and cycle the tank

Comment

There are things you must think about with turtles. First is how big is it and how big will it get? If a turtle js in a tank that is to small it will become misshaped and become sickly. everything said is all true. I have kepped turtles. they are a lot of fun.
              Good luck.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Well said Troy! Most natives will not need a heater, I'd only imagine a non-native would. Honestly, if this tank were kept inside and the lights were on I imagine that it would be fine without any heater at all. As far as a certain type of bulb, it really needs a UVA/UVB bulb designed for reptiles in mind (unless the tank gets good sunlight). It needs the UVA/UVB for health/vitamin issues. Only one bulb should do and any others would be for asthetics.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information.

I was thinking an RES or a map turtle. Which one would be easier? i assume the RES but map turtle is smaller and will be better fit for 40gb long term

Comment

Most natives get very large and would require quite a tank to house through adulthood. RES Males will reach 7-9" and should have a 75g, while females reach 10-12" and should have a 125g. Texas Map turtles are smaller Males at 4"(29g) and Females at 8-9" (55g). Musks, Stinkpots, and Mud turtles are the most viable in smaller tanks and can be communally housed.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Ok so prob a map would be good for a 40gb

Comment

Where is nickintx? Isn't he the turtle guru on here?

Comment

That would be my choice, though there are some exotic species offered at some shops that stay smaller. Not very familiar the species and with their captive care though. I have never caught any Yexas maps locally, but have caught most other local types.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

I think the map turtle would be ok in a 40b. (1 turtle )If you want more you will need a tank but a kiddy pool make a nice turtle pond. As Roy said there are others you can find that are smaller. The map is more picky about there water and like rivers more then lakes. but if you can keep your fishs water right you should be able to take care of the water for this turtle.
                            Keep us posted
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I am happy with 1 turtle. I think i am going to go with a map but i will continue to research. I will post pics by friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X