Fragging resources.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fragging resources.

Where can I find good reliable info on fragging zoas and other soft coral?
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Take a hammer to it! lol jk. Check out our sister website marsh-reef.org or nano-reef.com. I think there might be some old threads on here as well.

Comment

Okie dokie. I did a few searches on here for fragging etc and just found old sales.
      45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

What are you wanting to frag specifically?

If anything we can start our own resource or compile the knowledge for future reference.

I've fragged a few things in my days and have gone through some trial and error myself.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
          Take a hammer to it! lol jk. Check out our sister website marsh-reef.org or nano-reef.com. I think there might be some old threads on here as well.
          That's not a sister site... marsh is just a local based forum. If I'm not mistaken the only thing it shares is the web and consisting of locals.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well I am registered with Nano-Reef. They seem to have a decent resource page.

I honestly dont know what this little guy is. I went to HAW this afternoon when I was in the area picking up my old 45g from JHenry. I was poking around and looking for a snail and walked out with a rock with a few frags on it. Couple of Green Zoas and a other thingie. I will post a pic in a second.
            45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Fragging resources.

45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

That middle paly looks amazing under good lighting!

removing them from the rock isn't that hard but seeing as though it's only a few polyps it makes it a little more tedious, the zoas/palys grow and form mats at the base, all you have to do is slowly and carefully get underneath it and slowly peel it from the rock.

If you are wanting to actually frag it then you can just cut the mat with a razor inbetween the polyps and then do the above.

Find what you are wanting to attach it to and damp it dry, the mat of the zoa/paly and the new spot it will be glued to.

Use GEL superglue and a little goes a long way! just a drop under each polyp's mat and then place the zoa on top, give it a little dab down to spread the glue.

Dip in water and it will skin the gel glue and just be gentle with it till the glue dries but it can go right back into the water.

be careful with zoas/palys since they have Palytoxin which is no bueno, where safety glasses and latex gloves if possible cause it will mess you up if ingested or got into your eyes.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

This is the paly you have that I pointed out under T5HO
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks! Everything I have been reading tells me to get gloves and goggles. But thanks for looking out. I kinda want to just get them all off this rock and put them on the one I already have. There are more on this rock all over it. But the big groups are what you see. I am hoping to find a couple clean up critters in a LFS rather than order them. Then I can take good pictures. :)

Well good iPhone pictures.
                    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

What stores are you by?

CityPet's $5/10/15 frag tanks are hard to beat!

Another option is to chisel a piece of the rock off that has the coral, the rock should be porous enough for you to work it away, if it doesn't break a chunk away it will at least break shards where you can easily glue to something else.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am on the NE side but I like City Pets and HAW and Fish Ranch. I went to a few places in Humble and Atascacita(sp) and was not impressed. And Baytown is not much better. I went to one guy and he complained of the "Orientals" on the other side of town selling too cheap. I left.
                        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Yeah, theres not much options for nano tanks around town.

There's 3CC and FJW off of 290 near tinseltown theater, those two have become my top favs. Also a lot closer than the south side but I usually end up going to CityPets after hitting up these two when I'm able to make it out.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I dont think I have been to those. I usually just shoot down 10 to 59 and do my business there.
                            45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Its a must!

FJW has a ton or ORA livestock
                              3CC is like a giant frag store with I think 5 big tubs for frag tanks.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X