Moonlights for open top biocube29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlights for open top biocube29

I need suggestions for moonlights for biocube 29. At this time I put an ecoxotic stunner strip actinic light as a moonlight. But I don't know if its too much light for my livestock. I'm noticing a little bunt on some of the corals. But I'm not quite sure if its from the kessil light or the actinic moonlight. I have since then lowered the intensity of the kessil and moved some of the corals around. Can actinic LEDs cause burns in corals??

I have had a Kessil on my BC29 for about a year now and love it. I was iffy on getting rid of the stock hood because I didn't want to get rid to the moonlights because it is cool to look at at night. Found some suggestions on moonlights but just never made the plunge on buying any. I have never heard of moonlights burning corals but I wouldn't leave them on throughout the whole night, I think its appropriate to give a tank complete darkness also. Depending on how long you have had the Kessil on the tank your corals could just adjusting to that still. I acclimated my kessil to the tank... day 1= 2hrs on. day 2= 4hrs on. day 3= 6hrs on. day 4= 8hrs on. then you should be good. All this is just my suggestion and what I had read in the past. Good topic I would like to see how you added the moonlights because I have been wanting them
    If today were a fish, I'd throw it back :emt_thumbs:

Comment

I had extra ecoxotic lights from when I tried to retrofit the biocube. So I used the panorama pro as refugium light in the back ( which is working out great as the chaeto is growing like crazy) and I used the actinic stunner strip as moonlight and placed it on the back of the tank as moonlight. The actinic runs from 7pm-12 mn and 8am-9am then the kessil turns on. I am noticing the corals near the moonlight started to bleach a little but the rest of the tank is great and thriving. So now I'm wondering if the stunner is too bright even if its not on for the whole night.

Comment

Update. My corals I'd not like the ecoxotic stunner strip as a moonlight. Actinic I think was too strong that it burned some of my corals even when it was only running for 5 hrs a day. I am currently using a the true lumen 3 light led as moonlights and my corals are recovering well. It's not as pretty as the stunner strip but it will do for now.

Comment

Working...
        X