Betta Keepers, I need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta Keepers, I need help!!

At a nearby lfs they have this beautiful solid white half moon betta they are holding for me. This Betta looks perfectly healthy and seemingly acts normal (as normal as you can be living in a covered cup!!) and is a beautiful fish but he has multiple tiny "holes" around his head & face (6 or more). Any ideas how serious this might be or maybe if its genetic since he's solid white or something Betta's are prone to getting??? The holes are really small and at first glance you don't notice them. Really want this fish if it's condition isn't serious!

Sounds normal, just more noticeable due to its color.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks Eklikewhoa!! I was wondering if it might be normal and like you said more noticable because of his color but I don't have enough experience with Betta's to really know. White ones are especially new for me, they really "pop" out in aquariums. Thanks again for providing me with a new piece of info on Betta's!!

Comment

look at my pics of my white bettas
        my fish house:
        2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
        6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
        29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
        45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
        2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
        125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
        and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Ally, your Betta is gorgeous!! I also looked at this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxeW6X-6Siw trying to see what the difference is between "white" and "platnium white" but this guy had the tiny holes as well (lower your volume if you watch video!!). Still can't figure out the difference between the white's though. Any idea if these holes only occurs on the head area (which is all that I've seen) or does it occur elsewhere on the body as well?

Comment

i think the "holes" you are seeing may be just a lack of pigment instead of actual holes. since seeing this i've been looking at mine closely and when the light hits just right i can see the surface is still smooth but there's no iridescence or reflection in those spots. from what i've put together, the white bettas are like my little plakat, he looks pink/white but has green iridescence. the platinum are a richer white with no pink showing. again, this is just an observation, i may be wrong. i recently acquired some new bettas, including a couple or very nice multi-color "elephant" bettas. you should come see!
            my fish house:
            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-
            2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby

Comment

Found a really interesting article on the Difference between Opaque & Pastel
              Betta's @ http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=897 though interestingly enough it doesn't make any mention of the "platinum" variant. Where the heck did "platinum" come from anyway? I'm not really finding any mention of it in the genetic info I've seen so far. I plan on going to see my little guy tomorrow and bring him home so I will be able to check out your pigment theory. But after doing a little research I'm thinking these "holes" may be "sensory or lateral line pores", I'm still reading up though. This interesting question & answer site described the difference between "Sensory Pores, HLLE, New World Cichlids 3/1/10" @ http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...HLLECauses.htm.
              I only saw Elephant Ear Betta's a couple of months back for the first time and they are so cool looking!! Multi color ones must look fantastic with those little "elephant ears"!!

Comment

cool info.. thank you for sharing!
                my fish house:
                2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

Platinum is a silverish white. It's not quite leucistic, but almost as rare.

Comment

Thanks Mistahoo!! Had to look up leucism on wikipedia though :) This genetic stuff is rather interesting!

Comment

I love platinum white betta my female killed my male :( does anybody know who has one?

Comment

Working...
                      X