Need help with coral ID on used live rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with coral ID on used live rock

I'm in the process of adding some live rock to a new setup i've had running for a couple of weeks. This tank has no fish in it yet just about 30# of live rock in the DT, about 10# of rubble ( from the sump on my existing tank) and a large amount of cheato ( from another member )in the sump. The rock was purchased used from a member and i did not realize until i got it in my tank that it had some corals on it but I have no idea what they are called. My other saltwater tank is a FOWLR tank so until today i have never dealt with coral and was not planning on acquiring any anytime soon until I was sure this tank was up and running good and fully cycled. Just to add other than salinity (1.024) I have not checked any parameters as I waiting to get rock in the DT and was going to start the cycle using the raw shrimp method.

IMG_0001.jpg There is probably about 20 or 30 of these total between all the rocks. This one is probably medium sized compared to most of them but there is one that is quite a bit bigger.

IMG_0004.JPGThere is probably 5 or 6 of these but this is the only one constantly open. The one below it keeps going in and out of the tube.

Top picture looks like Aiptasia - They can mess with corals and fish if they're big enough. Honestly, I would ditch that rock and buy new pieces. If you say it's covered with them, it's going to cause more harm than good getting rid of them. Not worth the hassle. Second picture is just a tube worm/feather duster. They're fine to have, I like them personally.

Comment

Thanks Andrew. A quick google image search does confirm they are Aiptasia. I knew pests were a risk with buying used live rock and with the amount there is the seller had to know they were there but that's another issue.

Comment

3cc rents out their majano wand pretty cheap. rent it and have some fun killing them...

Comment

Working...
        X