salinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salinity

Ok I mix the salt according to directions and in a separate container and sg was correct but now i have had it in the tank for a few days the salinity is low why is this and how do i bring it up it is at 1.019

Re: salinity

Uh... Add more salt? Salinity goes down as you add more water, vice-versa

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

thats what ive been doing guess im worried about over doing it lol but the i guess if it ends up with to much salinity i just take water out and add more fresh rodi water

Comment

Yup.

Comment

How are you measuring your salinity? What are you using to measure your salinity? A refractometer or an arm? Also, the salinity readings change with temperaure of the water.

Comment

Refractometer > Hydrometer

Comment

I have a hydrometer

Comment

Re: salinity

I would ditch it and get a refractometer. They actually measure salinity. Hydrometers measure the weight and aren't as accurate because well... weight and salinity are two different things.

Comment

salinity

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                  I would ditch it and get a refractometer. They actually measure salinity. Hydrometers measure the weight and aren't as accurate because well... weight and salinity are two different things.

+1. Get a refractometer and a calibration solution.

Comment

+2 Refractometer. Best investment I ever made. When I got out of the hobby six years ago I sold everything except my refractometer. I am back and happy i kept it. It is so easy to use that my six year old daughter does the readings for me.
                    My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Originally posted by Bakapuma View Post
                      +2 Refractometer. Best investment I ever made. When I got out of the hobby six years ago I sold everything except my refractometer. I am back and happy i kept it. It is so easy to use that my six year old daughter does the readings for me.

I agree, when I sold everything I also kept my Refractometer. One of the best investments out there. On the subject of calibrating it, I know most decent fish shops will do it while you are browsing in their shop. I have ran my salinity anywhere from 1.018- 1.026 depending on if I had only a fowlr or a full reef going on with great results. I found the key is to try and keep it around the same salinity all the time.
                      Former owner for years of a custom 125g Saltwater tank, full of SPS, Zoes, Softies, and lots of fish. Then I moved . . . Now time to go bigger and better

Comment

The best calibration fluid is the actual sea water where the live stock lives. I bottled 12 plastic water bottles with localized natural seawater and have used it as calibration ever since. 6 bottles from the Big Island in Hawaii, 3 bottles from Cayman and 3 bottles from the Keys..

Comment

Originally posted by Hangman View Post
                          The best calibration fluid is the actual sea water where the live stock lives. I bottled 12 plastic water bottles with localized natural seawater and have used it as calibration ever since. 6 bottles from the Big Island in Hawaii, 3 bottles from Cayman and 3 bottles from the Keys..
                          How do you keep the calibration fluid at the exact salinity? Does it evaporate as well?

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                            How do you keep the calibration fluid at the exact salinity? Does it evaporate as well?
                            It does not evaporate if its sealed tight. Same as the calibration fluid you buy, if its sealed tight it won't evaporate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hangman View Post
                              It does not evaporate if its sealed tight. Same as the calibration fluid you buy, if its sealed tight it won't evaporate.
                              I think the calibration fluid you buy are sold in a one-time use pouches, aren't they? It's not something you reseal and reuse many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X