seahorses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seahorses

Well my girlfriend has been on me for awhile now about wanting seahorses. We have a 30gal hex tank we are planning on using.We have a 303gph fluval canister filter , a hang on back skimmer and bought sea salt today. Im new to saltwater and definitely new to seahorses so any help would be appreciated.

not trying to sound rude but if your new to saltwater i would not attemp keeping seahorses
    dont bro me if you dont know me!!!!!

Comment

If you've got the money and time, shoot for it, but I would do plenty of research before actually buying them.

Comment

Got the time and the interest and willing to learn

Comment

Seahorse is really hard to keep. I would not suggest seahorse as the first experience into saltwater world.

Comment

We have been keeping fresh water for a long time with great success im not saying we know everything but we do our research and are willing to take advice. Im not trying to be rude but im not looking for the dont do its i know we can keep them health i was hoping maybe a few people here might have some experience with them and willing to help us get started

Comment

If you really want to try. I suggest you better go with HOB filter like Aqua Clear and convert it into refugium and have enough live rock and live sand for the biological filtration. Don't forget to always use RO/DI water to mix the salt with. Don't rush the cycling period, let the tank mature naturally, it may take a while. You also need to test the water regularly to ensure everything is fine.

Comment

So you suggest hob filter rather than the canister with protein skimmer

Comment

HOB filter with protein skimmer. What kind of protein skimmer do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by dbc2804 View Post
                    So you suggest hob filter rather than the canister with protein skimmer
                    canister filter will hold way to many nitrates for seahorses but i would still stick with a skimmer
                    dont bro me if you dont know me!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbc2804 View Post
                      We have been keeping fresh water for a long time with great success im not saying we know everything but we do our research and are willing to take advice. Im not trying to be rude but im not looking for the dont do its i know we can keep them health i was hoping maybe a few people here might have some experience with them and willing to help us get started
                      That's the spirit. Don't let these haters put you down (jk guys!) If you've got the time, money, and you're willing to learn, I'm sure all you need now is just to read up on them and hope that someone that actually has experience with them chimes in. I haven't touched saltwater tanks yet, but I'm hoping to jump in within a few months. Not with seahorses though. I'm going for simple inverts and softies.

Comment

Originally posted by barberking12 View Post
                        canister filter will hold way to many nitrates for seahorses but i would still stick with a skimmer
                        +1 Canisters are nitrate sinks. HOB fuge or HOB fuge + Skimmer.

Comment

I say go for it. First you need to get the water right. Go get you a salt meter and you will need live rock for BB. to grow. it take about 30 days to cycle. As FW is about flow in the tank SW is even more. So get a good powerhead.
                          Goodluck and let use know how it comes together...
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Its a sea clone 100 protein skimmer

Comment

+1 Canisters are nitrate sinks. HOB fuge or HOB fuge + Skimmer.
                              I agree!
                              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                              X