Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the bettas

Hey ya'll,

I have been slowly but surely adding new life to my 40 gallon breeder. It is a natural planted soil based tank. I used to have a beautiful halfmoon double tail male betta. He unfortunately died in my new tank because I stupidly did not put a sponge filter or a rock pile around the intake for my power head. Well I was very upset at myself for killing him in such a terrible way and rethought my layout before i bought another. I really love bettas so I knew I wanted another one. Now that my tank is safely cycled and has had fish in it for a couple of months I felt it was time for a new betta. I have been very interested in the Giant Plakats and was going to source one on aquabid. I was perusing my local petco for any interesting fish and I always look at the bettas. My roomate read the placard and noticed that the "king" betta they sell is also known as a giant plakat. So I looked over the kings they had and they are definitely much larger in body size than the others. My research has led me to believe that the "king" bettas they sell are actually half giants. This was very exciting to me because even if it is only a half giant it gives me interesting genetics to work with at much cheaper than aquabid. I picked up the King I liked the looks of the most and he is almost identical in size and shape to the giants I am currently seeing on aquabid. I know he won't get as big as the full blooded giants (up to 7" holy sh*t) but still a 3-4" betta is pretty impressive. Apparently they do not normally sell the king females and I have only heard of them being found accidentally by checking the betta section for years. Either way I am very excited about getting back into the betta arena. I hope to get some giant females from aquabid. It would be interesting to see what kind of fry one of the "kings" and a female giant from Thailand may produce. Hopefully I can get some decent pictures of him!

extreme fish&pet is selling the same "king" bettas for much cheaper than petco. and i'm willing to bet they are in better health as well.
    my fish house:
    2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
    6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
    29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
    45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
    2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
    125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
    and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

awesome thanks for the tip, I will have to check them out!

Comment

Agree, there's usually a few giants there as well, at least in the past there was.

Comment

it's funny. the "king" bettas at petco are just betta splendens that have been line bred for size. they sell for 19.99 + tax. extreme was 6.99 i think. :)
          my fish house:
          2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-
          2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby

Comment

Yeah it's like $7 for one, but I wouldn't say they are in better condition. They do, however, feed them on a consistent basis. I've noticed a new belly ups having fungus and all kinds of stuff growing on them.

Comment

Extreme can have some of the coolest stuff but they have No Returns. If it dies its yours. last time I was there most of their livestock looked sick but I still keep going back...
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

If they have real giants I will be all over that! I need to check them out on the way home. I just realized that HAW is like a block or two from my job so I am gonna stop by after work and see if they have any interesting driftwood. Now I am having this urge to get a pea puffer from FG... It Never Ends!!!

Comment

HAW has a few of Ally's bettas for sale I think. He also have a lot of nice manzanita driftwood and even some super branchy ones.

Comment

Dope I was hoping to find some manzanita driftwood!

Comment

He's got small ones and big ones. The smallest are about a foot and get up to about 3'

Comment

Sweet! hopefully I can find a big branchy piece for my 40b

Comment

He has a few small extremely branchy pieces that are about 1.5'. The larger pieces aren't as branchy, but still good and you could arrange it to seem branchy. They're all quality stock though

Comment

there is lots of nice manzanita at HAW. i took my bettas back home, however, they are still for sale. and i have pre-soaked manzanita. :)
                            my fish house:
                            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

So I hit up HAW yesterday and got a pretty dope piece of manzanita, price was good and selection was decent! Thanks for the pro tip guys . I also went by Extreme Pets and they do have a far better betta selection! Prices way better also. They were out of giants but have some more on order so I will peep them out. I really like their selection of fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X