Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump tank, person to setup

I need someone to drill and setup a sump system for my 40 breeder
    Last edited by Johnsbra123; 11-01-2012, 08:52 PM.

Sump tank, person to setup

That paragraph reads like several random thoughts put together. Can you explain in more detail?

Comment

Yeah. It does. Sorry! I want someone to drill my tank and set up a running sump tank.

Comment

I have heard city pets drills tanks... I'm sure they have everything to setup a sump...
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ask City pets, they may drill tank according to your preference, for reasonable fee. As for sump, the cheapest thing is to DIY with 20 gallon long and some acrylic sheets and glue. There's a lot of DIY video on Youtube. If you want ready-made sump, it will run you $100+ just for the sump alone. With the return pump, plumbing, and skimmer you are looking around $300 since good skimmer will cost good money. DIY is the cheapest way to go plus you will learn a lot from it. If you got money, call ADG or fish gallery tell them what you want, and they will set it up for you like in the TV show "Tanked" or Fish Tank Kings".

Comment

Yeah I don't want my wallet to get ripped apart. I will do a DIY, but can someone help me figure out my size holes, bulkheads, and return pump?

Comment

please contact nick - sunkenmetal.
              Me, personally I stil owe him as I feel I robbed him.
              Terrific guy, funny as hell and does a great job in drilling.
              Dude, I reccomend no one else but Nick.
              Just make sure you take care of him and although he will say no when you want to give him more appreciation, just keep in mind that he drives a hemi truck.

Frankie
              http://s1131.photobucket.com/profile/Darth_Coqui

Comment

Just an FYI
                It seems that your budget is always limited, so before you get into this be prepared.
                I recently learned how to setup a sump system myself (Yeah i actually studied Youtube vids, read tons of forum posts contacted the guys at BRS etc.) it's called research.

Even doing most myself, built my own sump, internal overflow, drilled holes etc you need a decent pump $50min, plumbing $50, media $40 (depending) and that was for a fresh water setup, add salt water stuff and you are talking way over $200.

Look before you leap...

Comment

Well then I will not do this route then since I only have 100$. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsbra123 View Post
                    Well then I will not do this route then since I only have 100$. Thanks for the heads up.
                    Yip, even if you got some stuff free, there is no way $100 would cover it...

Comment

Yeah, Panda has sound advice.
                      Question:
                      Does this have to be a "now" situation?
                      If not get it drilled and save for the pump, materials, etc....
                      You cant go wrong with a sump.
                      In addition, if you do save some beans, it gives you time to have a set / visualized way of the plumb vs going right into it.
                      Believe me man, its worth a little wait and a little more thought.
                      But thats just MHO as I am a designer by trade so I revise constantly and I plan constantly.
                      Talk to myself too but thats just due to me being effn retarded.
                      Goodluck man. Lots to think about.

Frankie
                      http://s1131.photobucket.com/profile/Darth_Coqui

Comment

I agree... For a 40g tank thats a little to much to spend. A big HOB is much cheeper.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I will think about it. I have a canister filter for my tank right now. I might make my own but Im just worried about how much a pump, hob over flow, and skimmer are going to cost. Can you run a FOWLR tank with out a skimmer? Because I'm going to keep two clown fish and a baby tang in it and one anemone.

Comment

Re: Sump tank, person to setup

An anemone isn't considered a fish. An anemone requires pristine water conditions and high lighting to thrive. I'd put anemones in the sps difficulty range.
                            20g mixed reef

Comment

Moved thread since this became a discussion about DIY sumps.
                              Our Fishhouse
                              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                              X