Puffer shopping, have questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer shopping, have questions.

Ok, so I looked at the sticky with the freshwater puffers.... Lots of info to digest.... So.. questions.

I think I'm going to be getting a 60g Cube tank. I wanted something longer/larger for the bigger fish (Oscars, etc), I was vetoed by the boss (spelled backwards is wife).

What I want: Active Fish that can regularly eat feeder fish, or maybe fresh water crustaceans; however, will do good will pellets (if possible). Essentially, I want a meat eater and my kids (2 and 5) go nuts when they see Red Devils much on crickets at a friends house. I've seen vids of Puffers crunching crabs and again, the kids loved it.

looks like some of the smaller varieties would work, but I'd rather ask the experts. I'm stuck with Fresh water for now.

What can people suggest? again, 24/24/24 Cube tank @ 60g. It will have plenty of air and filtration....

Thanks
    Crusty.

I would go with figure 8's or pea puffers.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

If you could get a bigger tank I'd recommend a fahaka, and could give you a lead on where to get a good size one.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
        If you could get a bigger tank I'd recommend a fahaka, and could give you a lead on where to get a good size one.
        You're more than welcome to come over and make that case with my wife. I had a line on two used 90g tanks for half the price of a new 60g cube. She wants the cube, smaller tank apparently matters more.... She wanted something in the 30+ range, and the furthest I've come is 60+. That battle isn't over though....

Comment

Good luck bro. Your on your own, I have a hard enough time convincing mine on stuff.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Just tell her all the other puffers have no personality and they are boring. Unless you get a fahaka or a MBU. They're like dogs

Comment

Originally posted by cu0ngsayz View Post
              Just tell her all the other puffers have no personality and they are boring. Unless you get a fahaka or a MBU. They're like dogs
              LMAO... Right... good one though... .LOL

Comment

Avocado puffers are occasionally available and are active and terrific eaters that are not particularly finicky when it comes to food. Very tough on tankmates, but will not outgrow that size tank.

Congo/Suttoni/Abei/Dragon puffers are larger, but are lurking predators. Not as active, but can eat far more. Can have tankmates in something that size, but care must be used so they will not fit in their mouth.

SAP (South American Puffers) are easily doable and very active. Can be kept in groups, but teeth trimming is a must with these. Also the only one that can be kept in a community (large fish) tank setting.

All of these are true fresh water puffers and fit your bill. It all depends on what type/coloring/activity level you desire. I'd suggest looking them all up and youtubing them to see their behavior and if they fit the bill.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Teeth Trimming... Ok... now, I've been to the dentist and they stick a drill in my mouth... How the heck do you trim the teeth on a slippery, wiggly fish? I have pliers and a Dremel... Will that work?

Comment

Buy her a Louis Vuitton purse, then just come home with a huge tank. Trust me, it works...
                    420 Gallon: IT's, NGT's, NTT's, AT's, Cichla Pleizona, Bichirs, Blue Arowana, Spotted Gar, Clown Loaches

Comment

Originally posted by CptCrusty1 View Post
                      Teeth Trimming... Ok... now, I've been to the dentist and they stick a drill in my mouth... How the heck do you trim the teeth on a slippery, wiggly fish? I have pliers and a Dremel... Will that work?
                      You don't have to trim their teeth just be sure to add a various supply of crustaceans to their diet. It'll knock em down
                      420 Gallon: IT's, NGT's, NTT's, AT's, Cichla Pleizona, Bichirs, Blue Arowana, Spotted Gar, Clown Loaches

Comment

SAP's really require trimming, but its shown online. Just do a search. Other species are not as critical and the addition of crunchy stuff does the job.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by Chris360 View Post
                          Buy her a Louis Vuitton purse, then just come home with a huge tank. Trust me, it works...
                          does that work for you???
                          125g: Empty For Now
                          90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                          Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

My wife is the queen of deals. She got a gift card for Macy's for $50. She found a $50 purse she like and got it for free.

First she's skin me for spending that much on a purse, then she'd drown my bleeding body in the fishtank..... don't piss off a Slavic woman...

Comment

Originally posted by LordBarron7692 View Post
                              does that work for you???
                              Dude, I talked my wife into going all the way to Dallas for 2 fish. It cost me a $600 pair of shoes but I got my fish.....the bad thing is one died the next day ....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X