Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just moved to Houston from Belgium

Hi everyone

I have just moved to the Houston area (Huffman)> The bad news is I had to give up my fish :? The good news is my fiancée is from Texas... so lost some fish, gained a wife :) (and a TON of paperwork )

Since both of us spent a considerable amount of time in Europe, we're trying to build up a new group of friends and connecting with people who share an interest seemed like a good idea! I noticed that I missed the meeting this weekend unfortunately, so I figured I'd introduce myself real quick here...

I've been keeping African cichlids for the last 6 years, the only remnant of my tanks are some pictures. Here's my last one on Cichlid-Forum before I sold it. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/d...php?tank=21755
    My goal is to get a new one up and running at some point (a bigger one of course ) but right now we don't have the room so I'll be watching other peoples tanks jealously... I have the good fortune my wife also likes fish, so starting a small tank in the mean time to satisfy the urge shouldn't take all that long.

Since I'm new to the area, all tips on where to get some nice fish are welcome, right now I only know of The Fish Gallery but I'm sure there are other places, possibly closer to Huffman... At the moment I'm looking to get some Golden White Clouds perhaps.

Re: Just moved to Houston from Belgium

Welcome Maarten!

Very glad you found this site and would love to meet you at one of the GHAC or HTPC meetings soon.

I'm pretty sure you'll have a sizable collection of African cichlids again very soon
    Last edited by SunnyHouTX; 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Welcome aboard!!! Africans are still quite doable in small tanks. Just stick to shellies, we have quite a few breeders in Houston and we always have fry for a fraction of what stores sell them for. Ultimate Fish in Spring has a decent selection and Fish Ranch II is good folks. City Pets has always been good to me personally as well...
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Welcome come out to a meeting its a blast lots of great people

Comment

Welcome to Texas! You found a great place to meet fish folks and get all the equipment and fish you want!
          215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
          180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
          58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Welcome! That tank looked nice!
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Welcome to the box and to Houston!
              Guppies:
              Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
              Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
              HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Welcome to the box!
                While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

Welcome to the box! You've come to the right place! As for the stores in and near Houston, there is a LFS map in the article section of the website. It displays most if the stores.

The concentration of LFS would be found in the sw area. I find the trip there is usually worth it. My favorite store by far is HAW (Houston Aquarium Warehouse) and Xtreme along with Fish Ranch are right behind it. John (Murray is his username on here) is the owner of HAW and he has a great variety livestock and supplies for a great price although his livestock is generally more South American oriented but he does have Africans.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Nice tank btw. That's a really interesting footprint. Where'd you get the tank made? Or was it diy?

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Welcome !!

Nice scape in that tank
                      125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

welcome to the box, here your going to find alot of helping information as well as members.
                        175 tropheus Chaitika
                        125 tropheus Ujiji
                        90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Welcome!
                          Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome to Houston mane and Congrats on the Marriage.
                            Since your close or by Huffman, the only place that I can think of would be Ultimate Fish (Alex) and Fish Ranch that you could consider in dropping by.
                            In addition, when you decide to get up and running like the tank in your link (dam nice tank BTW, really nice), there are many members and sponsors here that would give great deals on stock, equipment, etc..
                            Now coming from the other side of the salty pond, let be the first to ask.
                            Have you gone out with the Wifey, family and friends yet?
                            Many nice places to hang out and lots of sporting venues like football, boxing, mma and even racing if you like that.
                            Lots of fishing and hunting activities and we have the space center, but no dang Space shuttle which bothers me a bit.
                            Hope you enjoy Houston but the humidity here kinda, well it just sux.
                            All in all in hope you enjoy here in Houston and like you, this is my home away from home.

Hope to meet you in the future.
                            Cheers.

Frankie
                            http://s1131.photobucket.com/profile/Darth_Coqui

Comment

Welcome to HFB,USA,Houston etc. very nice looking tank you had set up also.

Comment

Working...
                              X