Tank Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Size?

Might be getting one of the 4 Puffers that I have on my mind.
    MBU
    Fahaka
    Hairy
    Congo

Just need to know what the minimal size, preferred size, and optimal size tank for each one.
    Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Of all four I think the MBU is the largest and they get really huge. Plus the puffer itself is quite expensive

Comment

Not worried about the cost right now. I just remembered how big Fish Gallery's MBU was on the front tank.

Comment

There's members on here who have owned MBUs along with the other 3 puffers. I'm sure they'll chime in. From what I've seen and read, minimal would be about a 180, preferred would be about 300-500, optimal would be anything bigger. Footprint is also a big factor with large fish. Generally with large and long fish you'd want a tank that's deeper (possibly in the 3'+ range?) to give them room to turn. After seeing their habits for a good while, I love them! They're so cool, but upkeep cost for them (considering costs of tank, filtration, food, etc) is something I wouldn't be able to do financial wise.

Comment

I really love the MBU and the personality but the work and size..........Still debating on the right one. I like the ones with personality and the biggest tank I currently have is a 65g (Definitely not suitable for a MBU). Curious with the hairy puffer. Going to have to visit my old highschool, the teacher there got her hands on a hairy puffer and a couple of other kinds of puffers for the aquatic science class.

Comment

56g being your biggest tank I think you're better off narrowing it down to just the hairy or the Congo. The other 2 gets too big for a 56g. Unless you're planning to keep a baby one and upgrade to a massive tank down the line then I rather pick the mbu. The patterns on a mbu is diff in every fish. The fahaka is nice also but it's just plain stripes.

Comment

If you look up MBU. they say 1000g not sure you really need that much but they get BIG...

Fahakas get pretty big too...

The smaller puffer are cool too. they don't get as big. So the tank size can be much smaller.

Our Fig8 puffers get along with other fish and 40g is a big tank to them...
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I like the ones with personality
                Never seen a puffer that didn't have personality....

Comment

Re: Tank Size?

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                  If you look up MBU. they say 1000g not sure you really need that much but they get BIG...

Fahakas get pretty big too...

The smaller puffer are cool too. they don't get as big. So the tank size can be much smaller.

Our Fig8 puffers get along with other fish and 40g is a big tank to them...
                  I believe I heard that was based off one person's failure on keeping a mbu in a smaller tank so that person decided they need a 1000g.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

I had fig 8 and asellus puffers. Asellus are boring, they only keep swimming. fig 8 were curious and aggressive as hell, attacked things that were 3x his size and he ends up getting beat up and tossed aside like a ping pong ball. I want to try a bigger one. I could get one big one and upgrade tank size over time.

Comment

I believe I heard that was based off one person's failure on keeping a mbu in a smaller tank so that person decided they need a 1000g.
                      My info is from a Bing web search. Befor We got puffers. We searched to learn more about what We wanted...

Comment

Re: Tank Size?

Just wondering but do you have room for a 300-500g tank in the end? It's gotta be at least 3' deep. I think you'd be better off getting a fahaka first. They don't get nearly as large and you could probably keep them in a 180-235.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

My wife would like a bigger puffer too. I kinda wished I would have gone with the fahaka...

Our Fig8s are not aggressive at all. we have 2 in the tank with a ABN pleco and blue rams.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                            My info is from a Bing web search. Befor We got puffers. We searched to learn more about what We wanted...
                            My info is from a member here who did their research on the MBU puffer and owned one for a short period of time. There was a poll and debate on tank size for MBU puffer on MFK. They're big tank police and will ask you what size your tank is regardless of the question...

Comment

My info is from a member here who did their research on the MBU puffer and owned one for a short period of time. There was a poll and debate on tank size for MBU puffer on MFK. They're big tank police and will ask you what size your tank is regardless of the question...

Yas. I read all of that too, but I have puffers...

Comment

Working...
                              X