new frog home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new frog home

My wife has a marineland eclipse hex 5 gal and has decided she wants a frog and not fish. Can this tank be used for frogs? What do I need to do to set up the environment and what type of frogs? She likes colorful frogs aka dart, but would be open to anything colorful. This is going in her science class room so must be escape proof too.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Tank is too small for any type of frog I can think of. Maybe a pacman but that still might be too small of a tank

Comment

Would a 10 gal work? I could move her cherry shrimp from the 10 to the 5 and use the 10 if possible?
      Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
      29 gal (Planted Puffer)
      10 gal (snails and small planted)
      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Maybe for a trio of thumbnail frogs if you setup the tank as a vert. But not any larger frogs

Comment

whats more important than the volume is tha tank dimensions. a 5 gallon hex is what 12-14 inches in length/width? thats not much room for sure unless you try dwarf underwater frogs (Hymenochirus sp) or maybe a smaller reed frog or two if there is a good sized water bowl. the 10 gallon would be a much better option. vertically you could do thumbnail type dart frogs as jacob suggests or vertically you might be able to find some smaller mantellas or young tomato (Dyscophus) frog. maybe some of the less active toad species like walking toads (Melanophryniscus).

i would never consider a horned (pac man) frog for either tank size personally. just because they dont move much and can survive in a small place doesnt mean they should have to.

another idea might be salamanders or newts, there are many brightly colored ones that dont need much space.
          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
          X