Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column Stand

Hello,

I'm in the process of aquascaping my new tank, and I just got a piece of macrorock that can make a beautiful column and i would like to make it stand on it's own. I was looking around for a way to make it stand alone, the rock is semi round and it is about three inches in the bottowm and around five inches on the top.

I woundering around, ran into a paper towl made out of stell. I have cut one of the two loops and have modified it to easily hold the column straight up. But now am concern of it building rust since I headed and cut pert of the metal. Is there a way to condition a piece of metal not to get rusted?

Is there any other option to hold a column straight up on the sand? I have four wave makers which will be moving a large amount of water, and I thought this piece of metal would work great at holding the column.

Please advice...

Metal will rust in a SW tank. Unless you epoxy or some other coating.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I Would find some other rocks that are small and epoxy them to the peice you want to stand up them cover them wth sand

Comment

You can use a piece of PVC pipe. Drill a hole, slowly, into the bottom of the Rock and insert pvc. Attach PVC to a large endcap that you have drilled a hole into. Epoxy the hole darn thing to make sure it dont move. Kind of like tinker toys. You will have the lateral support and no rust. I did this in a 30g bowfront about 7 years ago. The effect of having a top heavy piece was very pleasing.
        My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Working...
        X