Catching Madtoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Madtoms

I remember catching one of these a while back all my years fishing in the bayou ive only caught 2 with a cast net by accident. but ive seen a lot recently in really shallow water(less than a foot deep) anybody know how to catch them before they see me or some traps that i can set up?

minnow trap or cast net?

Comment

already tried the cast net, they see me standing before i even get in the area to throw them and streams filled with stuff thatll ruin the net

Comment

set a minnow trap and leave it there for a good while.

Comment

Minnow trap with dry dog food as bait. Leave it there for a few hours while you go fishing or cast netting somewhere else.
          A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

whats a minnow trap look like

Comment

I have always been successful using a hand net under debris.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Re: Catching Madtoms

Originally posted by elvispacman View Post
                Cylinder like with two openings. I'm on my phone so I can't post a pic

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

You can buy minnow traps like this from academy fairly cheap.

MinnowTrap.jpg

Comment

Or you can make your own like I did from the directions on this site.

HPIM0173.jpgHPIM0174.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter View Post
                      Or you can make your own like I did from the directions on this site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15121[/ATTACH]

I really like this one ,I may attempt to make one myself.
                      Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HERM View Post
                        I really like this one ,I may attempt to make one myself.
                        It really is quite simple and cheap to make. I say go for it. Instead of the metal clips to hold it together I saved money using string to sew it together.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter View Post
                          It really is quite simple and cheap to make. I say go for it. Instead of the metal clips to hold it together I saved money using string to sew it together.
                          I have a mad stash of heavy duty zip ties. Freebies from work. LOL
                          Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HERM View Post
                            I have a mad stash of heavy duty zip ties. Freebies from work. LOL

Perfect. Can't beat freebies when trying to go cheap.

Comment

I've never caught these in minnow traps, but I suppose if you left them out overnight in the right area you might be successful. When I first got into natives a few years ago these were at the top of my list for local fish. It took me quite a while to get onto them, but since then I have found them to be quite abundant. I've almost always found them in small, shallow, slow moving creeks with a dipnet. Like mnemenoi said, dip through debris, flip rocks and dip under/around them, and look in thick submerged plant growth (hornwort and bacopa are particularly productive). I have caught dozens of these throughout the area, many in Sugar Land.

You might want to carefully look over the difference between madtoms and bullheads... I think if you're seeing the fish swimming in the open, especially in a big swarm, they're probably bullheads. Bullheads get a lot bigger and will eat any fish that fits in their mouth, whereas madtoms generally stick to inverts and fish food.

Comment

Working...
                              X