Nerite snails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerite snails

Does anyone else use many nerite snails in their tanks? I had picked them up when I had phosphate issues because they seemed to survive when my dwarf ceriths did not. They seem to be quite the useless snail though. Not to mention being escape artists. I read that they prefer to be out of the water half the time? Even with egg crate, they find a way to make it out of the tank and to the floor. If they stay in the tank, they pile up high in corners. I'm probably going to replace them with soon since they don't do anything.

Anyone else have these issues with nerites?

I have a couple of FW nerites, but they've never ended up out of the tank and on the floor. They do, however, like to come up and stay half way in the water and halfway above the water. Sometimes they'll come out of the water, but they usually don't go anywhere far where there isn't water. Mines eats algae, I don't know if they're supposed to? They never gather in one area and always seem to be far apart from each other, but then again, I only have 3 of them.

Comment

i have found a large zebra nerite a good twenty feet from its FW tank, i guess it didnt like it there. i put it in a different place and it hasnt left again. they are pretty good at eating algae in FW tanks so i would think they would do the same in SW. although mine never gather, they do ride around on each other quite a bit.
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
        i have found a large zebra nerite a good twenty feet from its FW tank, i guess it didnt like it there. i put it in a different place and it hasnt left again. they are pretty good at eating algae in FW tanks so i would think they would do the same in SW. although mine never gather, they do ride around on each other quite a bit.
        +1 LOL I found one of them riding the other the other day!

Comment

Mine climb out of the water occasionally and try to cook themselves on the light... But I just chuck them back in the water when I find them there.
          I went off the deep end

Comment

I have a sw reef setup with about a dozen nerites. They do like to pearch out of the water in the corners but will submerge at night to feed. Typcial behavior. they are normally found in tidal areas so they used to being in and out.
            My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

I had one climb out of the tank and I found him halfway up the next tank over's stand...

Comment

In the bays in early spring you can find nerites sunning them selfs on the salt grass.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I have several (in FW tanks) and had a few escape, also. I just put them back. They are nice looking, but I find them pretty useless also. They do eat algae, but have really small mouths, lol. The trail they leave is about the same size as the tiny (about 1/8") baby mystery snails that I found in my tank after I didn't wash some new plants well enough. The little white eggs on my driftwood are pretty annoying, too.

Comment

The little snails that come in plants are not mystery snails...
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Not Mystery Snails, mystery snails, lowercase, because I don't know what they are, lol.

Comment

My guess on the mystery snails would be good ol mts... Do they have white spiral shells?

Comment

When I first found them a few days ago they were very tiny with barely any shell. They were in the breeder net (probably some in the tank, but I don't see any sign yet), so I put in some lettuce and pulled them out. I put them in my daughter's betta tank so I could let them grow to see what they are. By now, I am pretty sure they aren't MTS, unfortunately.

Comment

Re: Nerite snails

Ramshorn?

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Unfortunately? Those things are worse than the plague

Comment

Working...
                              X