Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump/Refugium?

Howdy,
    I have a 20 gallon reef that I recently upgrade from a 10. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to turn the 10 gallon into a sump for the 20? I have searched through other forums and it seems like its a very controversial topic. I have never set up a sump or an overflow box. Also the tank is in the bedroom and from what I have read overflow boxes tend to be fairly loud. Any comments or knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

For something like that, look into converting an aquaclear70/110 hob power filter into a refugium. More than big enough to support a tank that size.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
      For something like that, look into converting an aquaclear70/110 hob power filter into a refugium. More than big enough to support a tank that size.
      +1 Aquaclear HOB filters are perfect for fuges. Overflows and sumps aren't that loud. At least to me they aren't. I have a wet/dry on a 100g in my room and I sleep fine. The only thing that is added to the overflow is an acrylic plate that sits on top of the back portion of the overflow and a prefilter sponge on the standpipe. If you don't have acrylic, you can use styrofoam. Comparing the two, I'd rather have the styrofoam because it seals in the noise as long as you cut the styrofoam to be a little wider/longer than the overflow to have a tight fit. The acrylic sits on top and the noise doesn't get trapped and actually bounces off the lid to make a muffled sound of what it would normally be.

Comment

I actually have an old HOB filter and have read several DIY pages on converting it to a fuge but I have had trouble finding a lighting source small enough to fit over it. It would have to be coverable at night since its in a bedroom and I would be using grape macroalgae because thats all I have. Would low wattage leds from a reading light be strong enough for it? Sorry for so many questions, Ive never ran a fuge before but would like the experience for when I can setup a larger tank later on.
        Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

I have no experience in saltwater, but I've picked up a few things or two from reading the forums. We have some members on here that are real big on saltwater. Maybe one of them will chime in about this?

Comment

My suggestion is the more water you can get the better. So yes the AC will be enough for the 20G but a 10G sump is even better a lot more water volume and allows for more chaeto and/or LR
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Ok, I will try the HOB until I can save the money for a good overflow box. I experimented with a DIY pvc pipe one and it didnt work well. I also found someone nearby who can provide some chaeto.

Comment

Re: Sump/Refugium?

Originally posted by ChallengerReef View Post
                Ok, I will try the HOB until I can save the money for a good overflow box. I experimented with a DIY pvc pipe one and it didnt work well. I also found someone nearby who can provide some chaeto.
                DIY pvc overflow are easy. You don't need a fancy overflow unless you want one.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

I might mess with the PVC some more but I am on the third story of an apartment (why I only can have a 20 gallon max) so I do want something very dependable because if it floods they would most likely make me remove my tanks. My PVC overflow would not restart when simulating power outages and it also was very up and down with its flow rate. I can post a picture of it later if that would help? I used 3/4" pipe also and tried a maxijet 1200 as a return and the overflow couldn't keep up. It also was very loud like a kitchen sink when it was working. Any advice would be awesome though!

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Re: Sump/Refugium?

I might mess with the PVC some more but I am on the third story of an apartment (why I only can have a 20 gallon max) so I do want something very dependable because if it floods they would most likely make me remove my tanks. My PVC overflow would not restart when simulating power outages and it also was very up and down with its flow rate. I can post a picture of it later if that would help? I used 3/4" pipe also and tried a maxijet 1200 as a return and the overflow couldn't keep up. It also was very loud like a kitchen sink when it was working. Any advice would be awesome though!

Thanks for your help!
                    Can't really help much more than the two videos where they actually make it. You might need a bigger PVC if your overflow isn't keeping up

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice. For now I am going to go with the DIY overhang and might mess with the PVC over christmas break.
                      Thanks!

Comment

My PVC overflow would not restart when simulating power outages and it also was very up and down with its flow rate.
                        Overflow boxes will never restart in a power outage. Only drilled overflows will.
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                          Overflow boxes will never restart in a power outage. Only drilled overflows will.
                          ???? I have an overflow box and it restarts are you talking about the diy ones

Comment

Talking about the HOB ones. If its built into the tank then that is a drilled overflow.
                            Resident fish bum
                            330G FOWLR
                            34G Reef
                            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

YA mine hangs on back single u tube I turn power off it stops siphon them when the powers turned back on it picks up again don't have to reprime it

Comment

Working...
                              X