Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever get the feeling of getting out of the hobby???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get the feeling of getting out of the hobby???

Question for all you folks here on the box... Do you ever get the feeling of just getting out of the hobby completely and selling everything? For no particular reason whatsoever? Lately these thoughts have crossed my mind, and I was wondering if others felt the same from time to time..

Judging from all the "out of hobby" sales, I think there's quite a number of members who are with you.

Comment

hhmmm...

Comment

I've gotten out of salt and turned ot over to my wife loved my tank and will one day do another reef but as for now its freshwater tanks only

Comment

I get that feeling sometimes, but I don't think I would ever go threw with it.
          Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
          Mark Twain

Comment

I've done that multiple times only to come back. I regret the day I got away from my big tanks. My wife saw that as an opportunity to reclaim wall space. Since then I've just fought to get enough space for my 75 gallon. I replace one type of animal with the next yet always come back to fish.
            Emerald Green Rainbowfish
            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Ever get the feeling of getting out of the hobby???

I've walked away twice in my life only to come back three months later. Almost walked away for good early this year. To me these feeling are brought on when when I've overloaded myself or I'm board with everything. Taking a break is not bad, but don't sell it, just store it until your sure.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

yea I have thought about it alot. I have walked away two times before...
                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I have as well. I used to have a 125g saltwater tank and loved the fish. Honestly though, when I came back to aquariums a year or so later, I decided on freshwater. Best decision I ever made. While I really like saltwater, I would rather look at them then own one. I also find freshwater plants just as interesting as the fish so it works out two ways. But man do I regret selling my 125.
                  65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

i downscaled to a single 75 gallon for ten years before coming back, and that was a serious downscale considering i had a 120, two 55s, a 37, several china cabinet size paludariums, a 4' x 4' x 2.5' chameleon cage, and god knows how many frog growout tanks lol. its never been because of the hobby but rather other challenges in life taking too much time. I think its worth the extra time or money to set the tanks up in the most maintenance friendly ways. after all, we dont get burned out looking at them, we get burned out doing WC and cleaning filters and scraping glass and combating poor city water, etc
                    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I have only been in this for ~4 yrs, 3 1/2 with salt.
                      When I had fresh water, I had 7, 8 tanks. I had to do water change for 1, 2 tank every week plus other maintenance. That got old quick.
                      I switched to one 125 G tank of salt water, slowly got rid of all fresh water tanks.
                      I only make water change, clean skimmer cup once a month (or even less). I have a 20G tank for auto-top off, if I fill it up, I can go 12 days without worry. I feed the fish one a day. I could use an automatic feeder if I want. I clean the glasses once a week on avg. I had GFO reactor that I changed out once a month but I don't even use that any more.
                      I don't think I do anything else. If I have time I just sit and enjoy the tank. I don't imagine getting burned out any time soon.

Comment

I've thought about it, but most of my family really enjoys our 65gal SW tank. We did get rid of a 55gal FW tank last year after 5 years, to cut down on fish tanks to appease my wife. That one no one looked at since it was in the dining room, and the SW tank is in the den. I have a 120 in the garage I plan to upgrade to sometime..... just need to build a stand and everything else. But I've been tempted to sell that too. Every time I get serious, I just don't bother with it for a few days except feeding, and then I wonder why I ever thought about selling it all.

Mine is set up like rage's. I do a water change once a month, if that. Feed the fish once a day, clean the glass every 4-5 days, replenish ATO buckets once a week, and clean the skimmer once a month or so. I have an external overflow container on my skimmer cup, so that gets emptied maybe every 2-3 weeks. For me, the SW tank is a lot less maintenance than the FW tank was. I was doing major tank cleaning once a month on the FW tank, while I can go 6 months or more on the SW tank before I need to clean the pumps and powerheads and do a heavy duty glass cleaning.

Comment

Done it a few times already, seems to always come back with a vengeance though
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In the economy I think about it everyday. Yea right, when they pry my cold dead hands off my last bottle of Safe. LOL

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I've been thinking about doing that right now or atleast changing out the fish cause while I love my discus they really are rather boring LOL but yeah thinking about getting out of the hobby after I pick up my kick a$$ stand that Erick built
                              125g: Empty For Now
                              90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                              Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                              X