No announcement yet.

Any good places on the northwest side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good places on the northwest side?

Wanting to try out collecting and was wondering if anybody knows of any good places on the Northwest side of town. I've read about the ditch / bayou behind harvest bend the meadows which is right across from me. What about white oak bayou?

tc jester between pinemont and tidwell.

Comment

What are you planning to use to collect these native SP.?
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
        What are you planning to use to collect these native SP.?
        I would assume either a dipnet, cast net, or a minnow trap? I like using the dipnet the best. Easy to maneuver and vegetation doesn't get in the way as much as when using a cast net.

Comment

I have all three and more. In all the little creeks around here. they have to much trash in them. That crap will trash your net. so a bigger fish trap like a sox net is better in some cases. But was hoping to hear from the starter of this post.
          Last edited by troy tucker; 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I haven't ever done this before and I'm not coordinated enough for a cast net so I was thinking the dip net or a minnow trap or both. Haven't gone out yet and bought anything but since it is getting cooler I might have to do it soon.

Comment

Cast net is easy to learn. A dip net is ok if you are not worried about getting wet. there is a creek close to me. It crosses west littleyork, hwy6, and a few other streets. I was thinking about putting a minnow trap in it and seeing what comes out. may throw a cast net to see if the bottom is clean. but you can make your own minnow trap. As a kid I took the screen off my moms window and made my first minnow trap. I will never for get the betting I got. But I did get some cool little catfish...

Comment

Originally posted by jsbaker View Post
                I haven't ever done this before and I'm not coordinated enough for a cast net so I was thinking the dip net or a minnow trap or both. Haven't gone out yet and bought anything but since it is getting cooler I might have to do it soon.
                A cast net isn't that bad. I'm still horrible at it, but I'm much better than the first time I tried. It just takes some practice. But just like troy said, there's a lot of junk in our waters so a cast net may not be too good of an idea. I also tried using a rod, it gets you some good sized fish (3-5" depending on hook size). Only problem I had was the hook was too small and the fish would charge at the bait and get the hook stuck in it's gills.

Comment

I might check out the area Mauro mentioned or the w littleyork hwy 6 area since I don't live far from there this weekend. There is an area someone else had mentioned awhile back behind Harvest Bend The Village which just happens to the neighborhood right across the street from me.

So if you were out collecting with a cast net, dip net or minnow trap do you think a fishing license would be required?

Comment

I pass by there often. It seems like a good place to try out, but I never made the time to try it out. There's a bayou on the side of my neighborhood that used to have some really nice fish along with lots of turtles. I used to go out there with my pops back when I was like 8 and catch some pretty cool stuff. I went out there recently and there's not much anymore. Turtles, crawfish, mosquito fish, is about all I saw. There might've been more. I also tried out this one bayou out by veterans and west greens. Caught a few bluegills that were very colorful. Deep blue and a very bright red/orange.

Comment

i use a 3' mono cast net, pole net and a micro reel combo with crappy lures. i went saturday morning and caught blue tilapia(i kept the 2 biggest ones), one 12" pacos catfish and a 3" texas cichlid(caught with minnow lure)there are alot of large mouth bass too but i caught one awhile back for my small pond in my courtyard and he eats anything that will fit in his mouth. i plan on going back in a couple of weeks to catch him some food so i dont have to make a trip to petco.

Comment

So if you were out collecting with a cast net, dip net or minnow trap do you think a fishing license would be required?
                        Are you over the age of 18? If so Yes you should have a fishing license. TPWL game warden doesn't check kids at the creek. As long as you don't take game fish. I don't think they will care. But I will not tell you to brake the law... Shhh.

Comment

troy is correct

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                            Are you over the age of 18? If so Yes you should have a fishing license. TPWL game warden doesn't check kids at the creek. As long as you don't take game fish. I don't think they will care. But I will not tell you to brake the law... Shhh.
                            It's actually any one over the age of 17 that requires a fishing license. It only applies to catching fish in public waters. If it's on your property then by all means go for it. But you're right about them not caring as long as it's not game fish. If you do catch fish without a license, it's still breaking the law regardless if it's game or not.

Comment

I got my first fishing license at 18 haven't read that part of the book in a long time. Sorry I got that part wrong. the creek running throw the hood is a piblic water way and as I said you do need a fishing license. I get mine every Sept. 1. my first one was $10.00 now they are $50.00 but I love to go fishin... any time I can...

Comment

Working...
                              X