School fish tank stocking ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School fish tank stocking ideas

I'm in aquatic science and we get to keep some fish, the tanks are about 20-40 gallons, what fish would be the best/fun fish to keep!

Considering the size of the tank, the schooling fish would have to be rather small. Tetras, Rams, danios, Pencil fish, Hatchetfish, neons, rasboras, dwarf rainbows and barbs. I'm probably missing a lot but those are the main ones that school around the top and middle of the water column. Glass cats (?), cory cats, and loaches could occupy the bottom of the water column.

Comment

As for best or fun fish to keep, that's all up to you. Different people have different tastes.

Comment

Could I do two clown fish?

Comment

Sorry. I didn't see it was in the salty section. I'm not quite familiar with schooling salty fish. What I listed was for freshwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsbra123 View Post
            Could I do two clown fish?
            You could.

Comment

Should put in 15 clowns to see what happens, what could possibly go wrong?!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post

Comment

Wouldnt they die though? What ever we do, I have to take back home to my fish tank!

Comment

Nothing. The tank is to small for any schooling SW fish.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                      a clown party!
                      75g Tank,
                      2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                      2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                      10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                      10g Tank
                      Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

if you want a school go with FW. get some micro rasboras, or go for a shrimp tank. you will be the cool kid in the classroom.
                        75g Tank,
                        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                        10g Tank
                        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

I was thinking 2 clowns and some shrimp and a clam. Yay or nay? What shrimp would be cool?

Comment

any FW shrimp would be cool. as they are not so popular on the stores. as for salt shrimp i heard a pistol shrimp with an engineer goby will rock.
                            75g Tank,
                            10g Tank
                            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

clams need pretty specialized care. the pistol shrimp / engineer gobie would be interesting to observe and their relationship would be a good topic in class. i'm not an experienced SW guy but i know some clownfish play well together and some dont. darbex and some others here are really experienced so hopefully they will chime in with ideas. pay no attention to some of the clowns on this thread with their clownfish jokes lol
                              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                              X