What do you need to start sw fish tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you need to start sw fish tank

I'm doing a saltwater fish tank but with rocks only, since i am thinking about having an eel. What all do I need to set one up? I have a filter, skimmer, sand,55 gallon tank, heater, lights, and bubbler if necessary. What all will it take to start one? And maintence ?

I just made an ATO. I have a penguin filter that creates a lot of flow on the top.
    Last edited by Johnsbra123; 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM.

You are missing the salt, live rock at least 55lbs and power heads.
    75g Tank,
    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
    10g Tank
    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

I see no need for power heads unless your keeping soft corals or anemones that require or need the extra flow across them.

However the salt is a must.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Maintenance even with a good filter will be a lot with an eel in the tank. You will have algae problems with high nitrates, but will also need to do frequent water changes, so definitely lots of salt

Comment

I've tried saltwater in the past and it's a lot more work than freshwater, atleast until you get everything down. Before you invest a bunch of money I would do tons of reading, maybe even buy the saltwater aquarium for dummies book(not hinting anything, lol)

Comment

If I keep an eel and two fish, am I looking at a 3 week water change?

Comment

Your gonna need some form of ato you can't let water evap in a salt tank it raises the salinity water evaporates salt does not. You still need to do weekly or at least bi-weekly water changes to keep the water clean and nitrates/nitrites down. Lighting won't matter much if its fish only but I would still put powerheads/wavemaker in to add flow to the tank otherwise you'll end up with a cyno-bacteria build up

Comment

Also with eels any fish you put in the tank expect it to become a meal at some point

Comment

Havent u been asking this questions before?
                  75g Tank,
                  2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                  2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                  10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                  10g Tank
                  Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

I don't know. But if I have, I apologize for you mild inconvience of having to deal with me. I'm trying to keep up with my past threads. Again, I apologize.

Comment

It's good to ask the same questions to ensure you get the same information. I guess....I think we all know the heavy hitters of saltwater are on here. Ask them.
                      210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                      125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
                        It's good to ask the same questions to ensure you get the same information. I guess....I think we all know the heavy hitters of saltwater are on here. Ask them.
                        The OP is a new member, so he doesn't know who is into what.

Comment

Johnsbra, to check your threads, you can go to settings, scroll down to show all subscribed threads and look for yours. Either that our click my profile and click find latest started threads. People don't like duplicate threads. It takes up space on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsbra123 View Post
                            I don't know. But if I have, I apologize for you mild inconvience of having to deal with me. I'm trying to keep up with my past threads. Again, I apologize.
                            If you think you may have posted something before (and you're on a computer), go to the 'My Profile' tab on the top right of the screen and then click on 'Find all Started Threads'. You'll be able to locate all your old threads that way.
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

One more thing I wouldnt forget for your eel tank is a good secure top. My cousin had a couple of snowflake eels I believe and they jumped tank out of one of the uncovered corners.
                              Don't be afraid, Frag!

Comment

Working...
                              X