Refugium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refugium

Alright, I've been running a refugium since the start of my tank. Since the start I've added a big Skimmer, GFO reactor and now Biopellets. I noticed a huge loss in growth from my Chaeto. Is the Chaeto even beneficial since it's not the main form of reducing phosphates/nitrates anymore? I ask because since my tank has now recovered from the mess I've had the last couple months so I was going to a full clean of the sump. I was thinking of ditching the chaeto and maybe even ditch the sand/rock so I can use that compartment for equipment. My drain compartment is so packed in with skimmer/pumps, it's nearly impossible for me to replace Micron socks when its needed.

Refugium

I would. If the cheato isn't even growing that usually means there's no excess chemicals running through it, it literally becomes a glorified under tank, holding tank. Just go all mechanical and chemical filtration.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
      Alright, I've been running a refugium since the start of my tank. Since the start I've added a big Skimmer, GFO reactor and now Biopellets. I noticed a huge loss in growth from my Chaeto. Is the Chaeto even beneficial since it's not the main form of reducing phosphates/nitrates anymore? I ask because since my tank has now recovered from the mess I've had the last couple months so I was going to a full clean of the sump. I was thinking of ditching the chaeto and maybe even ditch the sand/rock so I can use that compartment for equipment. My drain compartment is so packed in with skimmer/pumps, it's nearly impossible for me to replace Micron socks when its needed.
      Looks like you are utilizing all the means available to clean your water, it's not surprising that some of them are not needed. It's up to you which methods you want to eliminate.

If it was me, I get rid of the ones that require manual intervention (filter sock) and/ or counter productive (rock/ sand in the refugium since they can trap detritus). The chaeto does not require any work, I wouldn't get rid of it. It may require a light source but you need the light source to balance the pH between the day/ night time cycle any how.

Comment

if you are working with a reef system i would leave in the the biological filtration. The are longterm consequences if you choose to remove them.
        My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Working...
        X