29 gallon reef tank flow ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 gallon reef tank flow ...?

ok... i think i need more flow. what i have for flow now is a little 30.00 fan that just does not see to give much flow.
    any suggestions would be appreciated
    i was think 2 Koriala? 240 gph? or JBJ Oceanstream Circulation Pump/Powerhead 500 gph
    Last edited by CRUSHER; 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM.

Throw you a mp-60 in there that'll do it

Comment

I have 2 jbj curclation pump (500gph) with wave maker controlle

Comment

Your corals will determine if you need more flow.

How do they look? Are they reacting well to current levels?
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

One is almost gone and two others have like a slime on them

Comment

I actually had this same question. I have a 29 gal also. I had 2 hydro 750 I didn't think I had enough cause I could see post where food would accumulate. So I bought another one but it puts off 1650gph. I removed one of the others. I got flow now ! I turned off the other 750 so all I have is the 1650 going. It amazes me what just an extra 150 gph will do. I've had to move some corals around. Immediately my frogspawn closed up, then later my hammer. So I will see later this morning when lights come on how things are looking.

Comment

Thats a lot of flow. If your corals like it then go with it, but I dont think LPS will.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Whats up with people and a lot of flow lately in coral tanks? When I had my JBJ 28G all I had in there was a koralia nano and everything was rocking.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                  Whats up with people and a lot of flow lately in coral tanks? When I had my JBJ 28G all I had in there was a koralia nano and everything was rocking.
                  I am thinking everyone is reading up on sps tanks and they think that more flow is always better. Not getting that moderate flow for LPS and softies is best.
                  My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Well I have tanked that 1650 out just too much flow. My problem is with these other two pumps (750's) there are dead spots. I've moved them every which way but the still miss areas. So I bought a MJ1200 and set it up like the wave maker with the bigger impeller. (Took out the 2 750's) That is still to much flow. Any suggestions on how to rid the dead spots? I am getting a bit of cyno so I think I need some more flow. I've turned my light cycle down and I don't feed as much. I really think flow is my issue. I don't think these 750's put out what they are suppose to

Comment

How is ur Koralias placed bc I have 5 Koralias in my 220 and I don't see any dead spots I think lol

Comment

Well I've placed them just about every way the can be placed. Pointed at each other, blowing in opposite directions, same direction. Still dead spots

Comment

Well I've placed them just about every way the can be placed. Pointed at each other, blowing in opposite directions, same direction. Still dead spots IDK may there defective. They just don't seem very powerful

Comment

Re: 29 gallon reef tank flow ...?

Could be your rock scape and depending on the way the water flow would circulate in your tank. If I can find a thread I seen on RC it would probably help. It breaks down the shape of the tank to rock scape and the way water best flows in them.

*Sent from my little corner of the reef. Nano nano!*

Comment

Working...
                            X