PDA

View Full Version : My betta story and new tank set up

suicune
08-16-2012, 09:32 PM
So i've heard ppl say many terrible things about putting betta with guppies and other long tail fishes. I did it all. In my little 12 gallon fluval edge, i kept my betta for almost 2 weeks. Not a problem, none at all. I was worried the betta will attack my delta tail guppies, but not a fin damaged so far. I got lucky and bought myself a very timid betta. I do believe that betta is much smarter then what we give them credit for. In my case mine is able to tell the difference between other fishes and its own kind.

With this success i will try another challenge, i'm getting my 40 gallon stretch hex ready with carpet plants and driftwood. Soon all 12 fishes i have will move to that tank, which is roughly 22-24 inches of fishes, then i'm gonna get 10 neon or cardinal to have a shoal. Again ppl say it's a bad idea but i think once we got enough space it can be done.

HERM
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Good for you . Good luck with your upcoming project . Keep us posted

troy tucker
08-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Battas have a bad rep. but are not bad fish. Male battas will fight with other male battas. not with other fish. Female battas get along with others very well. Ihave 9 female battas in a tank together. never had a prob.

TexSun
08-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah bettas are cool.

suicune
08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah i'm just waiting for new tank to get stable before i get the shoal of tetra in there. Very excited!!!! Only 3 days in and the moss carpet has shown sign of growth, was expecting it to be much slower

barrettsline
08-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Come on, wheres the pics?

Geral
08-17-2012, 07:49 AM
My wife used to have bettas with 14 neons and they were fine

suicune
08-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I'll post pictures after I move them to new tank ;)) right now they are still in the fluval 12

Totenkampf
08-17-2012, 09:05 AM
betta splendins can be aggresive to other fish, so i dont think its an entirely bad rap. i have one who didnt like the dwarf powder blue gourami he was with at all. he made pets out of the black molly fry in there though. they are smart enough to have personalities so they are all different. from what i have read, the other betta species are even less tolerant of similar fish. you never know until you try it. i have a dragonscale crowntail in with much smaller chilli rasboras and CPDs and he doesnt look twice at them. i have seen him nudge them out of the way to get food from the top when he could have just eaten both items.

it is important to not that the 'inches of wish' rule is cubic inches of fish per gallon. a 1" cardinal tetra or zebra danio is no more than .25 cubic inches IMO. I could probably fit my 50 member school of microrasboras in less than 3 cubic inches. A 4" puffer or synodontis is possibly closer to 8 cubic inches of fish. that being said, i prefer the 'square surface area' rule for a stocking go by. 40 breeder (648 sq inches at surface) aquariums can sustain many more fish than a 37 gallon tall (360 sq inches at surface), for example

suicune
08-18-2012, 07:22 AM

New Tank set up, finished yesterday evening, 40 gallon stretched hex. I'll move the fishes to their new home tomorrow, since I'm working today XD... it needs more plants... if anyone (preferably living near northwest area) want to donate a plant or two that'll be great, I'm a bit short on cash after putting all these things together :(... btw, the Finnex Ray II is amazing for the price, I'd recommend it.

Bottom line, this is plenty of space for the guppies and betta to live in, I will wait for the tank to get stable before I introducing a shoal of tetras.

suicune
08-19-2012, 03:37 PM

with plants, I'm waiting for the plants to grow tall so I can propagate them out to fill the back. Also waiting for the moss carpet to grow, will takes quite sometimes I know but patient is the key!!!!...

Geral
08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The tank look really good with plants and a lot of hiding spots for fry

suicune
08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks, The layout isnt in any shape right now, i'm trying to fill the tank first, wait for the background plant to grow tall so i can propagate them. Also the moss carpet will take at least 2 months.

bettascapes
08-20-2012, 10:36 PM
That's a great start to a beautiful bettascape! Do you use root tabs or is that soil under the sand cap? I'm going to be doing a 55 Gal sword & crypt with black diamond black sand and root tabs(no soil) soon once my leds arrive. The rest of my tanks use potting soil and pool filter sand. This tank is going to grow in very nicely keep us updated!

suicune
08-20-2012, 10:50 PM
That's a great start to a beautiful bettascape! Do you use root tabs or is that soil under the sand cap? I'm going to be doing a 55 Gal sword & crypt with black diamond black sand and root tabs(no soil) soon once my leds arrive. The rest of my tanks use potting soil and pool filter sand. This tank is going to grow in very nicely keep us updated!

That's ecocomplete black substrate I'm using, I also put root tabs around, then I put the white plastic mesh with java moss inside on top. The back will be filled with water wisteria, ludwigia, I'm trying to find some red amazon sword too. and then around the front there are some hair grass, anubias and java fern. The driftwoods are completely covered with java moss and xmas moss.

bettascapes
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Thats very impressive this is gonna be so awesome!

suicune
08-23-2012, 09:38 AM
in two weeks when the tank is finished seeded I will get 3-5 threadfin rainbow and then the following week I will get a school or 8-10 neon tetra, with that my tank is fully stocked XD

suicune
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
so far I see the problem of keeping double tail halfmoon betta. The beautiful tail rips easily, and there's no way to avoid it. My betta spend a lot of time around the wisteria and hairgrass today I see it has some minor rip on its tails

mistahoo
08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
so far I see the problem of keeping double tail halfmoon betta. The beautiful tail rips easily, and there's no way to avoid it. My betta spend a lot of time around the wisteria and hairgrass today I see it has some minor rip on its tails

Could be the current in the tank

suicune
08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I already reduce the filter current by almost a half, he doesnt seem to have problem swimming around, i saw him swimming near the spray bar opening earlier

allysangels
08-24-2012, 07:09 PM
betta splendins can be aggresive to other fish, so i dont think its an entirely bad rap. i have one who didnt like the dwarf powder blue gourami he was with at all. he made pets out of the black molly fry in there though. they are smart enough to have personalities so they are all different. from what i have read, the other betta species are even less tolerant of similar fish. you never know until you try it. i have a dragonscale crowntail in with much smaller chilli rasboras and CPDs and he doesnt look twice at them. i have seen him nudge them out of the way to get food from the top when he could have just eaten both items.

+1 bettas will almost always go after a gourami, they don't like any fish too similar to themselves. as long as you avoid conspecifics, you should be okay.

suicune
08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
introduced 8 neon tetra to the tank today, did see the betta swim around the new tank mates for a bit, tried to nip once or twice, lost interest now.

LordBarron7692
08-24-2012, 07:39 PM

with plants, I'm waiting for the plants to grow tall so I can propagate them out to fill the back. Also waiting for the moss carpet to grow, will takes quite sometimes I know but patient is the key!!!!...

Nice looking tank

suicune
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
FULLY STOCKED.
Now here's my community tank... and I DO MEAN COMMUNITY (40g): :snicker:
1 x betta
1 x swordtail
2 x oto
2 x nerite
2 x assassin snails
3 x platies
5 x guppies( + 1 solid black fry @_@... dont know how did that show up)
6 x gertrudae rainbowfish
12 x neon + green neon tetras
Thanks many bunch to Houston Aquarium Warehouse owner, I totally love the store and the fish selections. The price is great!!! I totally recommend this store.
Pictures will come tomorrow morning when the fishes wake up.

allysangels
09-01-2012, 12:54 AM
congrats! glad you found what you were looking for...

suicune
09-01-2012, 01:02 AM
yes, and thanks for pointing out. John was a very nice person. I think he gave me a little discount too. All the fishes were very healthy looking.
Currently, my betta is still checking out his new neighbor. I'm sure he felt a bit intimidating at first but he'll be fine. Weirdest thing happened, as soon as I added the rainbows today, the community immediately divided into 2 groups, one with all the tetras, and one with all the guppies and rainbows.

suicune
09-01-2012, 09:28 AM

finished tank. Last week, bacterial bloom is gone. Waiting everyday for the moss carpet to grow out and take over the tank :censored:

One little update, one rainbowfish seems to have some problem I can't explain, but she has difficulty swimming around. I guess the long drive home did quite a toll on her. I'm gonna keep watching her and see what's going on. Keep doing daily water change as usual I do a 2 gallon water change every day, so that's like 14 gallon a week which amount to a little over 30% water of the tank. I think it's less stressful this way for all the fishes.

suicune
09-01-2012, 12:08 PM
So sad i dont think that poor rainbow will make it. Half of her body seems paralyzed, she's trying hard to swim around. Dont know what problem is that. The rests are still doing fine.

suicune
09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
sadly, the little Gertrude rainbow didn't make it. I found her barely able to move anymore and was lying belly up with only her front fin moving. I decided to end her suffering :(. Dont know what happened but her body just froze up.