6g paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6g paradise

i have a 6g eclipse tank with floramax substrate, a small piece of manzanita, crypts, small java ferns, and corkscrew val. i had 3 bumblebee cats and a school of about 6 - 8 black phantom tetras. then one day i decided to add a gorgeous red/blue paradise fish. now i have 3 bumblebee cats and a paradise fish! lol any ideas what else i can add that he won't kill? i just miss the action of the other fishes since the paradise just lounges around.
    my fish house:
    2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
    6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
    29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
    45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
    2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
    125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
    and about a dozen bettas....

Plecos? I can't really think of anything right now that wouldn't get eaten or killed.

Comment

Not sure but .......Pics Please LOL
      Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
      Mark Twain

Comment

Male paradise fish should be kept apart, since they will fight aggressively by locking jaws. A male can be kept with females; females may also be kept together in groups. A tank that includes paradise fish should be at least 2.5 gallons in size for a single male or 20-30 gallons for a community tank. The tank should be well planted and covered; bogwood and rockwork may be included.
        Paradise Fish are often aggressive thus tankmates must be chosen with care. Suitable tankmates include giant danios, large tetras, most smaller catfishes and even some of the less aggressive cichlids, such as firemouth cichlids.They can hold their own against most South American cichlid species of a similar size, that aren't overly aggressive. Slow moving or long finned fish such as fancy goldfish and freshwater angelfish are likely to be attacked, bettas and gouramis may also be victimized due to their resemblance to paradise fish. Male paradise fish may also attempt to court female bettas and gouramis.
        Small fish less than 3 cm are likely to be consumed. Males are particularly aggressive and should not be kept with slow fish or fish with long, flowing finnage which is commonly shredded by the territorial paradise. In a community tank, male Paradise fish fight other paradises, as well as any other fish for dominance. Paradise fish will often fight with other fish for dominance, particularly other aggressive, robust fish, such as cichlids, gouramis, and even flying foxes. They therefore should not be housed with any other fish which may attempt to challenge them, because this leads to fighting. If kept with significantly larger but non aggressive fish, such as geophaguscichlids, large synodntis catfishes, or larger gouramis, they are usually submissive and do not act nearly as aggressive as if they are the dominant species in the aquarium. However, if the larger fish are also aggressive, they will not even attempt to fight and will take to hiding behind filters, plants, or in decor, and will succumb to stress.

[edit]
        Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
        Mark Twain

Comment

and by 'attempt to mate with female bettas and gouramis' he means 'kill females when they dont respond'. i had some in with florida flagfish and they did okay together...but that was a 37 gallon aquarium. i suggest MTS lol.
          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
            i suggest MTS lol.
            already have 'em!
            my fish house:
            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-
            2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby

Comment

maybe i can move him down to the 29g with rams and rainbows? i have chili rasboras in that one now, i can move them up to the 6g and get shrimp? i've always wanted a shrimp tank. i have sponges to use over the intake... or would the cats eat them? i guess i could put them in the 29g also...
              my fish house:
              2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

IMG_20120814_192212.jpgIMG_20120814_192312.jpgIMG_20120814_192352.jpg
                not my best tank! going to take out silly glass marbles and re-plant. one pic you can see the last tetra... RIP.
                my fish house:
                2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
                  maybe i can move him down to the 29g with rams and rainbows? i have chili rasboras in that one now, i can move them up to the 6g and get shrimp? i've always wanted a shrimp tank. i have sponges to use over the intake... or would the cats eat them? i guess i could put them in the 29g also...
                  I would think the cats will eat them.

Comment

yeah, i kinda do too... looks like they go downstairs.
                    my fish house:
                    2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

i have chilis, CPDs, otos, and a betta with my shrimp and none of them pester the shrimp as far as i can tell. its not the most prolific colony though so maybe they do hunt down shrimplets
                      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

the betta is the most likely suspect...
                        my fish house:
                        2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
                          the betta is the most likely suspect...
                          +1 on the betta. My younger brother had a female betta with some skrimps and they killed quite a few

Comment

When I had some paradise fish they killed everything...
                            10g Community Planted Aquarium
                            10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                            55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                            20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
                            20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
                            YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

well, i made the switch... mr p is in the 29g along with the cats, he hasn't killed anybody yet, and my kitties are swimming around! i never saw them before unless i was feeding the tank. best part is the chilis are upstairs in the 6g, and i got some yellow shrimp!
                              my fish house:
                              2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

Working...
                              X