Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cerith snail laying eggs. Survival rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cerith snail laying eggs. Survival rate?

Earlier I noticed like three of my cerith snail all on stuck together in the corner. Well few hours later I see they separate I don't think much and then as I'm messing with tank I see one is laying a whole bunch of eggs. What is the survival rate looking like? Also is it a good thing they are laying eggs?

uploadfromtaptalk1344744150710.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344744186876.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Bow-chicka-wow-wow is an excellent sign for anything in our hobby, NRH. It is very slim that they will survive, but it's a very good sign that your parameters are good.

I've been doing this for awhile now, and that only happened to me once (that I know of) in my 58g Oceanic Reef. That was over a year ago.

Comment

Lmao. Wow only once? I find that so hard to believe. Well I'm glad they are happy... Real happy haha. It would be cool if they survived. I would have snails to share. But at least they are happy and doing good. Can't ask for much more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Comment

She has already laid another set of eggs by the morning. Crazy that many eggs come from one snail. uploadfromtaptalk1344783758914.jpg
        Just realized she's still laying eggs. Wow!
        Last edited by nano reef heaven; 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Still laying more eggs. Crazy. And I swear I seen a baby snail already. :what:

Comment

Originally posted by nano reef heaven View Post
            Still laying more eggs. Crazy. And I swear I seen a baby snail already. :what:

After the eggs hatch the larva float in the water column. There they become part of the zooplankton. (hint: to increase larval survival rate feed with phytoplankton). Corals and other animals in your system will dine on them. Some will get skimmed by the skimmer. If any survive the larval stage you may see some tiny miniature baby snails creeping along the glass.
            My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll try my best to keep some alive. Everyday I find more and more eggs lain. I'm just shocked. Guess cause it's my first experience and it's interesting.

Comment

Lmao. Wow only once? I find that so hard to believe. Well I'm glad they are happy... Real happy haha. It would be cool if they survived. I would have snails to share. But at least they are happy and doing good. Can't ask for much more.

Yep. Promise! Only once. It was in my old 58g that I gave to my sister. Here's a picture of the guy that had a feast that day, when I went to work:

Fo' realz...

Comment

LOL he is a cutie though. Well I guess now I just wait and we will see if there are any snails that make it in time. (tapping finger impatiently)

Comment

Re: My cerith snail laying eggs. Survival rate?

Well I think I have baby snails all over my glass after another few batches of eggs being laid, but not sure. I have tons of these little tiny tiny tiny slug like things on the glass. I haven't even cleaned the glass cause I didn't want to accidentally kill them. This well be cool if they make it. I'll have snails to share LOL.

*Sent from my little corner of the reef. Nano nano!*

Comment

when my margs. lay the other snails usually clean them up and every so often when I turn the lights on in the morning for the fuge I see tons of baby snails. every so often at night i see some in the display but, they're mostly in my fuge.

Comment

Have your snails ever made it and grown to maturity? That would be awesome.

Comment

Have your snails ever made it and grown to maturity? That would be awesome.

so far in the display the numbers are slowly dimming but, the ones in my fuge are getting quite big since they hatched.

Comment

That's awesome. I don't have any in my fuge so won't have any in there for a while. I think that's so neat.

Comment

Working...
                            X