Seriously thinking bout making the jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously thinking bout making the jump

Ok so I would like to have some feedback. A little history, I had a 72 bow fw cichlid tank several years ago and loved it, but ended up selling after a couple of years. Now I have bought everything to start another setup. I have a 90 bow and just got my carib sea instant aquarium sand. My filtration is a Eheim pro3 2075 which will filter up to 160 gallons. Just FYI I have bought a hydor wave controller and two 1400's. Also have a whisper 100 air pump, uv sterilizer, double bright led lights, lots of fake plants, and a few big holey rocks (although a few more couldn't hurt haha). I haven't set up the tank yet, mainly because I won't have another day off for another full week, and I am still trying to figure out if I want to do a cichlid tank or get a young fahaka puffer. I also bought an eheim dual auto feeder because I am not home for a couple of days at a time and or I work a lot of hours. I have loved puffers for years and always wanted to get one but have been scared because I am not home everyday and didn't want it to die due to lack of care. So with all that being said, what are yalls thoughts? What other colorful cichlids could I also place in tank? What about bottom feeders to help clean up after the puffer eats?
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Also I want to get a few shelldwellers and put lots of large escargot shells in sand for them, would those shells pose a problem for the puffer? Also could I feed the puffer snails that won't just start breeding in the tank? How hard is it to start a seperate like 10 gal tank for a snail farm? Thanks for any and all feedback and advice.

Comment

I hear they're pretty mean on tankmates. There are quite a few members on here that own or has own fahaka puffers so maybe they'll chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
        Also I want to get a few shelldwellers and put lots of large escargot shells in sand for them, would those shells pose a problem for the puffer? Also could I feed the puffer snails that won't just start breeding in the tank? How hard is it to start a seperate like 10 gal tank for a snail farm? Thanks for any and all feedback and advice.
        I would steer clear of the shelldwellers. The puffer may try to make a meal out of them especially if they're in the shells.

Comment

Fahaka+tank mates =meal. Unless you are talking about goldfish or feeder fish as tank mates Then ok go right ahead and add them to the tank. Hahah but the auto feeder isn't gonna do much unless the puffer is already pellet trained and is eating pellets. Besides that it's all raw foods In my experience.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.... I want a puffer that will get bigger than 5 or 6 inches but also want some color in the same tank.

Comment

Go cichlids. Forget the fahaka. Mine tore up a 10" common pleco. Mean little SOB.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Puffers do have a rep. for being hunter killers...
                Our puffers (limon & lime) are fig.8's not as big as a fahaka but easier to put with other fish.
                IMO> If you are not home to feed. Don't get a puffer. They are meat eaters and need fresh food. I know there are some people who train their puffers to eat pellits but they are home to work with their puffer. If you put a killer in with other fish and don't feed it. It will eat the other fish in the tank...
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Maybe the individual puffer makes a difference. I've seen some that don't even touch their tankmates, kinda like they're friends or something. The puffer I'm reffering to is an Mbu though.
                  30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Fahakas are awesome if you can properly house one. Over filtration is required along with regular water changes. Very messy eaters and can poop like a dog. Don't forget Fahakas get 15"+ so a 90 gallon will eventually be too small. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting one just making sure you realize what will be needed to keep a happy puffer. If you can get it trained on pellets more power to you, but i don't have the patience for that, takes time. I feed mine nls stuffed shrimp a long with ramshorn snails and random crawfish. Fahakas are awesome fish with a lot of personality.
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
                      Fahakas are awesome if you can properly house one. Over filtration is required along with regular water changes. Very messy eaters and can poop like a dog. Don't forget Fahakas get 15"+ so a 90 gallon will eventually be too small. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting one just making sure you realize what will be needed to keep a happy puffer. If you can get it trained on pellets more power to you, but i don't have the patience for that, takes time. I feed mine nls stuffed shrimp a long with ramshorn snails and random crawfish. Fahakas are awesome fish with a lot of personality.
                      +1
                      Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

I certainly agree with Nightster, I have heard of success stories with tankmates, but they are rare and usually end badly. As to a feeding regimen, we feed ours every other day though it could go three days between feedings I imagine. With a schedule like that I imagine an African mixed tank sounds more to your liking. Shelldwellers are primarily from Lake Tanganyika and can be the building block of a terrific biotope centered upon that lake. I like to try and choose a single type from each of the available areas of the lake. There are shelldwellers, rock dwellers, open water, and sand dwellers. Some species do not exactly fit in, but most can be moved into that rough grouping. There are also Malawi, Victorian, African riverine, and Madagasacaran tanks. Try looking over Daves rare fish and choosing what species you like and researching them further.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                        X