The Gnarley Gar in Austin,TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gnarley Gar in Austin,TX

Went to Austin this past weekend to visit my mom and step-dad who live on lake travis. Everytime we go however, we make sure to go to my favorite place to eat. Now the name has changed a few times. It used to be call Shades, then it was the Pier on Lake Travis, now its the Gnarley Gar. Food was better when it was Shades, but its still good all around. The resturant it a floating resturant. And the best part to me has always been the locals. By locals i mean the pets. By pets i mean fish!!!! Many of these fish have been around this place for years. It's always hard not to watch these HUGE catfish and carp. They will eat out of your hands, and the staff do not waste leftovers. They feed them to the fish. I snapped some shots with my phone while we were eating lunch. If you ever get a chance to go, its awesome just to see the shear size of the fish. Many catfish there were tapping 80-90 lbs, with a few over 100lbs easy. The only problem I have with the place, is that your not allowed to fish from it. I've tried, trust me when I say they get mad.

photo+1.jpg

photo+2.jpg
    photo+3.jpg
    photo+5.jpg
    tn.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    tn3.jpg
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool man! We were just up in austin last weekend...Prolly check this place out next time!

Comment

ive never been disappointed, even in the winter.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Thats pretty neat. We will have to take the kids there next time to let them see the fish.

Comment

Trust me, they would love it. A basket of chips hitting the water makes them explode out of the and mine thought it was the coolest thing there was.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Very nice , not too far away either .
            Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Nope. It's actually about 2 miles from my mom an step dads house on the lake.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Nice! Is this the same type of catfish that comes out next to Joe's Crab Shack in Kemah?

Comment

I would say not because I imagine those are salt water. These I believe are just simple blue and channel cats.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

The ones at Joes Crab shack are hard heads , not good for eating . Blue and Channel = yum!
                    Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Holy CARP
                      http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Nice....just last weekend I was up at Ink's Lake National Park
                        420 Gallon: IT's, NGT's, NTT's, AT's, Cichla Pleizona, Bichirs, Blue Arowana, Spotted Gar, Clown Loaches

Comment

Cool!
                          30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

There use to be a place towards anahuac that had really good food and was sitting on a bayou. I think it was called boondocks. Anyways it was a two story and the restraunt was upstairs. There's was a bunch of oak trees by the window and waitress would open the window and set potatoes on a ledge and coons would come down and eat. It was cool to watch them eat and be sitting only 2 feet away from you. Then after you finished eating you can take your leftover fries and hush puppies on the patio and chunk'em in the bayou and the gators and catfish would eat everything you threw them. There would be nothing left after they finished....

Comment

Working...
                            X