HELP!!! Cyanobacteria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Cyanobacteria

my 40 gallon sw started to go crazy with some red slime. did some research and i think its Cyanobacteria. what should i do to get rid of it. so far i did an 25% water change but it seems like its spreading more. its on most of the rocks in the main tank and a few spot on the bed.

I have some stuff that'll kill the red slime it did turn some of my coraline white though but wasn't bad irs called red slime remover

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
      I have some stuff that'll kill the red slime it did turn some of my coraline white though but wasn't bad irs called red slime remover
      Should I use that or just wait it out with more water change.

Comment

test your water? too much lighting?
        Last edited by cu0ngsayz; 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I dunno I did water changes and added more flow and couldn't figure it out so I.used that

Comment

Originally posted by johnnytrinh View Post
            my 40 gallon sw started to go crazy with some red slime. did some research and i think its Cyanobacteria. what should i do to get rid of it. so far i did an 25% water change but it seems like its spreading more. its on most of the rocks in the main tank and a few spot on the bed.
            Red slime is most likely caused by the phosphate in your system. If you don't eliminate the source, it will fuel the slime forever. You can make water change but if the phosphate is in your new water, it doesn't help.

I had red slime for a year+. Water change, siphoning ... did not work.
            I used BRS GFO reactor for 2, 3 months and got rid of it.

Comment

+1 on what rage said. I had a red slime problems a couple years back and tested my water for phosphate. Turned out to be my problem. Phosphate removal was the key.

Comment

Agree I use carbon, gfo, and bio-pellets
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

But I have noticed that you dont necessarily need those though because when I had my nano tank it went away on its own after the tank got more established. I was just impatient and with a large display tank didnt want to wait for it to run its course.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                    But I have noticed that you dont necessarily need those though because when I had my nano tank it went away on its own after the tank got more established. I was just impatient and with a large display tank didnt want to wait for it to run its course.
                    Waiting for it to run its course maybe the right way but the reason it goes away is not always clear.

If you just start your tank and it has some phosphates, some regular water changes may reduce it to negligent amount and with nothing to feed on, the cyano may go away.
                    If you have a lot of phosphate and keep adding to it with unpure water, it may never go away.

Comment

I start the tank with water from the water mills.(random mills around town) could that be the reason for phosphate? Recently added an RO/DI and did 25g water change.

Comment

Lol, exactly why brah.

Only use RODI water. It eliminates that variable.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                          Lol, exactly why brah.

Only use RODI water. It eliminates that variable.
                          Should I do a big water change or just do 25% every 1-2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                          X