using filter water from a fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using filter water from a fridge?

Is using filter water from a fridge safe for topping off and water changes?

Yes, it is safe to use after checking to make sure there are no chloramines or chlorine in it.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Comment

it probably only has a particulate prefilter but some fridges have carbon as well. i would still treat for chloramines / chlorine and let it warm up lol.
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

My frig filter system is a puresource3 .

Comment

Originally posted by ttran1130 View Post
          My frig filter system is a puresource3 .
          If you already know the brand of filter, just look up what it does.
          My guess is that it filters for taste, odor and a few chemicals for human compsumtion. It's no where near what you want in your reef tank.

Comment

Even if safe this would take a very long time . I.M.O , I don't think the water pump is designed or can handle being run for long periods of time . How much water are you planning on using at a time (gallons)?
            Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe just use it to top off since water changes will be too much gallons.

Comment

I would treat it even if it's from the fridge and depending on how much water you're topping off, that may take a while with the fridge. Some water filters don't filter out the chloramines/chlorine. My younger brother uses the fridge water but for his little 10g freshwater tank and douses it with Amquel+

Comment

Get a tds monitor to see for sure (in addition to chlorine/cloramine removal issues). You really want 0 to 1 TDS for your tank versus drinking water which can be much higher from a fridge filter. I use RO for drinking and connect to the DI filter for the tank.
                  +1 on the usage issue too- those fridge filters can be expensive as well as probably not thorough enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X