micro fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• micro fishing thread

So who's into micro fishing? Basically the idea is to use extremely small (i.e. size 26 or less) hooks to catch extremely small fish. Some guys go ultra light with 1/2 pound test line and really light, flexible Japanese rods to make it more sporting. For me it's all about just catching the fish, so I've used an approximately 10' telescoping reel-less rod with five feet of 2 lbs test followed by a couple feet of tippet line and some hooks from Tenkara Bum (http://www.tenkarabum.com/tanagobum.html). I think it presents some opportunities for catching small fish in places where dip net would be of limited use.

On Sunday I fished a bit in Galveston, caught a lot of pinfish, killies and mollies. No pics from that trip, but I hope to start throwing some up in the future.

That sounds cool. When I would go fishing, I found I really enjoyed droping the hook and bait in water where I could see the fish going after it. And moslty those fish are small.
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

I do that sometimes. With small hooks but normal sized rod and line. Catch a baby bass and put it on my other rod/hook and catch a bigger fish lol

Comment

Sorry but We only fish for big fish. A 36"+ bullred is much more fun... IMO...
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Well good for you man. Different strokes for different folks, I've been there before. My interest now is in seeing non-gamefish, so I roll with the tackle that'll take me there.

It's definitely more interesting in clear water, but sometimes you gotta settle for whatcha got.

Comment

Sounds interesting! I always caught stuff with a dipnet but there were always those spots with so much vegetation that it wouldn't be as effective, not to mention who knows what kind of junk people have tossed in

Comment

I love micro fishing!

Instant gratification!

I've done deep sea fishing (commercial) for 60+lb kingfish, tuna, grouper and even a 16' hammer head before and I find the micro fishing more relaxing.

Comment

I could for sure get into that. But I have no clue where to start....or even where to go micro fishing at. Lol

Comment

I have always enjoyed perch jerking with fly fishing lures near a pier, they are artists when it comes to stealing bait. The sinister joy of finally catching the culprit of years of tomfoolery is priceless
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

at a local park i've seen a few people catch blue gill and just use them to catch the nearby bass and the bass are hgue almsot like 2 feet. at the park you are allowed to fish but you must release so every year they're getting bigger and bigger

Comment

i love micro fishing i got a little 5 pound test pole im my car at all times you never know when you will drive by a nice looking creek.
                      dont bro me if you dont know me!!!!!

Comment

nvm wat i said
                        Last edited by elvispacman; 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I enjoy my own brand of microfishing. I throw an M50 firecracker into a small stream and watch the small fish come up. only JOKING
                          On a real note I whenever I go fishing I always seem to catch 3 things, fish barely bigger than my bait, trash, and the face of anyone standing behind me, not ness. in that order.
                          Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                            I enjoy my own brand of microfishing. I throw an M50 firecracker into a small stream and watch the small fish come up. only JOKING
                            On a real note I whenever I go fishing I always seem to catch 3 things, fish barely bigger than my bait, trash, and the face of anyone standing behind me, not ness. in that order.
                            lil i just tkae a net and throw anywhere in a stream

Comment

Working...
                            X