I love it when it rains....I get to play in the ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love it when it rains....I get to play in the ditch

I tried to play in the ditch yesterday but didnt have much luck. I figured with the water level being up that there would be some movement in the ditches soon so I set out a trap. I was going to check it today but got tied up and didnt get over to our land till late. I had to use a flash light to check the trap and I could see a few fish swimming just in front it. I got a net and caught one before I checked the cage and came out with about 6 fish in all. One perch and about 5 of these big guys. I have had some before but none this big. I think one might be about 5 inches.

fish1.jpgfish2.jpg

200 - African cichlids
    72 - Salty Bow Front
    33 Cube - community
    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

That is pretty cool! Is that a type of Darter?
    65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

sleeper goby, not sure what species...
      my fish house:
      2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
      6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
      29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
      45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
      2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
      125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
      and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Jade sleeper is what we called them

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

That is pretty dang cool. You caught that in a regular ole ditch/bayou? Curious. Haven't played in the bayou since I was a kid & this makes me want to do it again! Used to catch minnows & turtles & run from the water moccasins but we never had anything cool in our ditches aside from an alligator once. Dang ghetto ditches, lol.
          180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
          75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
          50g - Various platy & mollies
          10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

We have 14 acres in the country so Im thinking this ditch is a little different than the city. Its a low area so we get lots of standing water throughout the year.

200 - African cichlids
            72 - Salty Bow Front
            33 Cube - community
            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

pretty cool Brain. I haven't seen a native goby in years. When I was a kid. we were always at he bayou...
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I had some about 2-3 years ago and they had great color. Problem then was the 2 inch gap in the back of the tank. These are by far the biggest ive seen but its been a couple years since I lived close enough to play in the water.

200 - African cichlids
                72 - Salty Bow Front
                33 Cube - community
                10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

pretty cool.

Only bad thing about rain is the water companies put all kinds of crap in the water.
                  Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Yeah, im not liking this city water. Wish i could do water changes from my own well. It hasnt been used in years and the equipment is gone. Just a pipe now.

200 - African cichlids
                    72 - Salty Bow Front
                    33 Cube - community
                    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

<---- is jealous. LOL. I would give my right arm for a couple of acres. Growing up in the inner city, you don't think of country life when someone says ditch, lol. Pretty dang cool, man. I'm with Troy on always being in the bayou. We'd grab a 5 gallon bucket, hop the back fence & slide down to the water. Makes you wish you were a kid again or lived in the country. Nice catch, man.

Comment

My family laughs at me alot. 20 years have passed and i still walk the ditches with a net and a bucket. I love it though -water, fish, and fishing.

200 - African cichlids
                        72 - Salty Bow Front
                        33 Cube - community
                        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

so I'm not the only one? cool.... I'm curious about the trap you mentioned.
                          my fish house:
                          2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                          6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                          29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                          45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                          2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                          125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                          and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

sideditch.jpg

This is the "side" ditch that drains to the front where I caught those. Back there its all water. About 3 acres from ours and 5the from the neighbors place.

200 - African cichlids
                            72 - Salty Bow Front
                            33 Cube - community
                            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

I'm coming to play in your ditch, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X