peppermint shrimp eggs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peppermint shrimp eggs?

just picked up some peppermint shrimp and notice one of them had a yellow under body. seems to be eggs but not sure. any special care or just leave it alone.57.jpg

From my limited knowledge, I thought most salt water shrimp were 'low order' types that have hundreds of eggs and their young exist in a planktonic state for some time before finally molting into an adult form. I gather this is quite tedious and most keepers just give up, especially with fresh water shrimp that breed in brackish conditions such as the Amano Shrimp. I'm sure some other SW folk probably have more direct experiance with this actual species though. For what its worth hope that helps a bit.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Yeah those are eggs. They keep hundreds at a time, but they hardly ever make it. They have a long planktonic larvae, which means they get sucked up into the filtration and that's the end of it.

Yes, you could try to grow them up, but 99/100 times it never works, and it really isn't worth it. Basically you would have to set up a mini-kreisal tank, and provide them with micro-foods for them to eat. I think it's somewhere around 2-3 months for them to settle.
      75 planted (Being Renovated)
      Endlers
      gobies
      lots of nanos

Comment

Why is the pep so light red?
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Probably from stress. Just added it in the tank before the picture was taking.

Comment

I say to the shrimp eggs "good game"

Comment

Peppermint shrimp are different than other fish. They can eat crushed up flake food from day one, and the settle faster. 6wks? Feeding flake food from day one will likely grow a lot of hair algae in the system which the larvae get trapped in and die. Keep uneaten food syphoned up and hair algae out and the peps will make it.

Comment

Working...
              X